Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report in Power BI Servie doesn't show refreshed when the dataset is refreshed

Hi,

I have a report that is published to Power BI Service. When I click "refresh now", I did saw the last refresh time changed to the latest refresh time. But when I go to the report, the report did not show refreshed, even though clicking the refresh buttom on the top, the report did not show refreshed. 

This report is going to be as report, will not be created as dashbaord, so show last refresh time in dashboard tile will not work.

Any ideas on how to get the report refreshed? 

All the data is from our Azure SQL database. 

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few things to consider:

How long does your report take to refresh? Did you wait long enough?

When your refresh completed, what did your refresh history tell you?  Did it say whether it was successful or did it indicate that it failed?

What "Last Refreshed" data point are you looking at?  Is this a Power BI Service information or is it a Column/Measure from inside your Data model?  If its part of the data model, are you sure it works correctly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for asking detailed clarification questions. 

It only takes less than 2 minutes to refresh, it refreshes so quickly that I wonder if it's really refreshing.

On the other hand, I made all my data connection to be pointed to tables, not direct query, not sure if this is the reason why it refreshes so quickly.

The refresh history shows all the refresh is complete. 

For the Last Refresh formula, this is the formula I use: DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.FixedUtcNow(),-7)

I did see it refreshed successfully, but when I look at the report, the last refresh time stamp does not show refreshed, and the data itself does not show refreshed, either.

Thank you for all your help! Please let me know if you have further questions!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it only take 2 minutes to refresh if you do a similer refresh in Power BI Desktop?

Does the information change if you refresh using the Desktop and publish over the top?

The Refresh formula you are using, is that a calculated column (single row table) or is a measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes it only takes less than 2 minutes to refresh in both Power BI desktop and Power BI Service.

And yes the information change if I refresh using the Desktop and publish over to the Service, but the information will not change I refresh it through Power BI Service.

The Last Refresh timestamp is from a calculated column. 

Hope those information help on solving the problem. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the information provided, this should be working.  As this is an Azure SQL, you would see this as "Connect Directly" and thus a gateway would not be getting in the way, unless you have other sources in the project.

I can't really see what other variables could be getting in the way as the symptoms you describe lead me to expect there to be a 'refresh failure' as the cause, which would appear in the refresh history.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I still couldn't make it show refreshed in the report, even though in the refresh history, it showed refresh complete.

Since I used all my data connection as import, instead of direct query, do you think it matter?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think the issue is, even though the dataset "showed" refreshed (refresh history shows refresh complete), but actually the data itself is not refreshed at all. 

Just wondering what may be the reasons causing this.

Thank you!

Wendy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using Dataflows, or was this a project created in Power BI desktop?

If its a data flow, it could be a bug.  I've heard a few reports of such a thing.

If it was created in the Power BI desktop, what happens when you refresh using the desktop application?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. The report is created in the Power BI desktop, and all the data source is import. 

It refreshes totally fine in the desktop version, and the data showed refreshed as well.

But when I upload to Power BI Service and refresh there, it did show refresh complete, but the data itself is not refreshed.

Hope this information help identify the issue!

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think I found the issue.

All my data source is import, not direct query. But when I published to the Service, it shows "Scheduled Cache Refresh", instead of "Scheduled Refresh". As for my understanding, "Scheduled Cache Refresh" is from direct query setting, which is weired since I had it all imported.

So then I randomly deleted one of my imported table and republished, then it showed "Scheduled Refresh" instead of "Scheduled Cache Refresh", and I can see all my data refreshed through auto refresh. This is very weired.... I'm sure that that table is imported, not direct query.

Do you have any idea why all imported tables will end up showing "Scheduled Cache Refresh", not "Scheduled Refresh"?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you found your issue.  No i'm not sure about that one.  I've not worked too much with the composite model.  Possibly just a bug as its a pretty new feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors