Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexgs
Frequent Visitor

Refresh fail - "Credential are required..."

Hi, i have a error with the refresh data, the error is "Credentials are required to connect to the Sharepoint source"; but the credential source to sharepoint is ok, i update the credentials but the same error.

What could be the problem?

10 REPLIES 10
Radek_Z
Advocate I
Advocate I

I received a new work laptop today and had this same issue happen to me. Here is my un-scientific, un-explainable way how I resolved it:

1) Power BI Desktop showed that I was signed in, but my usual profile picture was missing. Seemed weird, but ok.

2) Power BI Service showed that I was signed in, and my usual profile picture was there. OK?

3) Sign out of Power BI Desktop and Service

4) Sign back in to both. NO change. Errors still came up.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 several more times, get frustrated.

6) Go get a cup of tea.

7) Come back to computer, sing out of Desktop and Service.

😎 Sign back in to both and attempt to refresh report. IT WORKED!

Seriously though, my only speculative explanation is that the Power BI Service needed to be 'refreshed' with a fresh login attempt while Desktop was signed out. I wonder if the order of signing in makes a difference...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

First question, is this in the Service or in the Desktop that you are connecting to SharePoint?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

everything is in the cloud, power bi on line, sherepoint on line

Sorry, let me be more specific. Are you using Power BI Desktop and uploading the resulting PBIX file to the Service or are you connecting directly from the Service to your SharePoint Team Site?

Latest book!:

Hi, let me explain, i have a excel file, inside are the conections to sharepoint lists, in this file i have a model generated with power query and power pivot; this file i upload to power bi online to show a report. But a fews days ago, the refresh fail, and the error message is "Credential are required to connect to the Sharepoint source". 

I try to update the credential many times, but the same result, the refresh fail

OK, getting closer. When you go to Schedule Refresh on your Data set, do you see "OneDrive Refresh" at the top or things like "Gateway status", "Data source credentials", "Schedule Refresh".

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm trying to emulate your configuration and how you are using Power BI so that I can try to replicate the issue.

Latest book!:

@alexgs - OK, I just tried this. I created a brand new Excel 2013 file. I connected to my SharePoint Online instance and loaded a list into the data model, only creating a connection. Save the file locally. Then I uploaded to Power BI using Get Data | Local File. It loaded up successfully.

Now, I went in and looked at Schedule Refresh. It told me that my credentials were invalid. So, I hit the Edit credentials link and logged on and updated my credentials. Next I turned on refresh. Then, I hit "Refresh Now". That succeeded but when I went back into Schedule Refresh, it initially told me that my credentials were invalid. However right next to the "Edit credentials" link was a spinning icon and it eventually (5-10 seconds) removed the yellow error message automatically.

Now, all this being said, what I note that is different about my setup and yours is that I am logged on as myself to both Power BI, SharePoint Online as well as my gateway (Personal gateway). So, that *may* have something to do with it. I would use the smiley icon in the Service to send a "frowny face" to support along with a screen shot of what you are seeing and see if perhaps they have an answer for you.

Let me know if this generally mimics your environment (other than you have a different user for SharePoint Online) or if I got something wrong in my test.

Latest book!:

This is a screen shoot

!Selección_0441_bk.png

For security i hide many fields, and the interface is in spanish (my native language), if you don't understand a word, google translate help you, its helps me 😉

This rare case, everything seems fine! The gateway is on line, the credentials is ok

This is the screen shoot of the error:

Selección_0442.png

alexgs
Frequent Visitor

hey @Greg_Deckler its works, if you ask me how? i dont know! Man LOL i change the check of the one drive update, and after minutes the warning icon change, and the refresh success 🙂 

Now, i have other problem :D, i try to resolve before post here

Hi, the gateway status is on line, the credentials is ok, that's the weird thing, apparently all right, but to refresh the data fails

This error could be a permitions on the sharepoint site? The credentials are from the user owner of the site, it has a full control

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors