Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh Schedule under domain controller

My report is made up on the data from online sharepoint list (which will be edited almost every hour by users) and a few excel file (almost static) on my desktop. To have my report published with most recent updated data, I have created an hourly REFRESH SCHEDULE which works just fine at home but not when I am connected to work network in the office. This in my world, could be for the fact that schedule does not work under "Domain Controller". I wonder if there is a WORK AROUND for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on your description, you put Excel file on your desktop. Do you use gateway to refresh the report in Power BI Service? What error message do you get when you connect to work network in the office?

In your scenario, you can upload Excel file to SharePoint Online, and create your Power BI Desktop with only online data sources. This way, no gateway is required and you should be able to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

How is the issue going?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your support in that. I just tried to connect an Excel file ( which I was the owner of) to the power BI desktop, and it just went through very well. My conclusion would be that I needed to be the owner of that Excel file on sharepoint to be able to pull in its tables.

However, I would like to make sure that was the cause, and any other justification is welcome.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on your description, you put Excel file on your desktop. Do you use gateway to refresh the report in Power BI Service? What error message do you get when you connect to work network in the office?

In your scenario, you can upload Excel file to SharePoint Online, and create your Power BI Desktop with only online data sources. This way, no gateway is required and you should be able to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia for your quick response which aboslutely makes sense. However, I should have mentioned the other problem before that I was forced to make a scheduler, which is getting data from Sharepoint excel file (and not list) with an persisting error of "Access to the resource is forbidden" despite of correct credentials.

@Anonymous,

What type of authentication do you use in Power BI Desktop? After connecting to the Excel file using web connector, please use "organizational account" authentication .

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Try this way: Get data -> Web-> then I paste the SP online link to the Excel file and shows me the error as shown in the picture:

Note: I have the most recent Power BI Desktop version. I try it at home and at work network.

Screenshot 2018-09-03 14.54.59.png

@Anonymous,

What URL do you use to connect to the Excel? The URL should be like: https://XXXXX.sharepoint.com/sitename/Shared Documents/Foldername/Excelname.xlsx.

And do you use Azuze AD account to sign in? In the highlighted textbox of the screenshot below, choose ensure that  you choose Excel level URL.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors