Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SCTDev
Helper I
Helper I

Problems switching Personal Gateway to On-Premise

I have been using a Personal Gateway since the beginning of the year and I want to change to an On-Premises Gateway (not personal).  I clicked the link and installed the gateway, then went into my workspace and tried to make the switch.  The new gateway did not appear as an option.

I attempted to re-install, but received an error stating that I should uninstall first, then reinstall.  I uninstalled the old Personal Gateway and the new On-Premises Gateway, but all attempts to reinstall are greeted with this message:

The on-premises data gateway installation has failed. It looks like you are trying to reinstall. Please uninstall the current version first.

I'm stuck. Looking under installed programs, no programs are installed with the word "gateway", so I cannot uninstall.  I need to have this up and running by tomorrow morning so my users will get their refreshed data, so I appreciate any speedy assistance that you can lend!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@SCTDev,

Firstly, Power BI Gateway- Personal is retired and stop working after July 31, 2017, there is a new version of the personal gateway for Power BI, called the On-premises data gateway (personal mode).

Secondly, you can install on-premises gateway and on-premises gateway(personal mode) in same machine, you don't have to uninstall on-premises gateway(personal mode) when you want to install on-premises gateway.

Thirdly, after you uninstall failed on-premises gateway from control panel, delete c:\Program Files\on-premises data gateway folder , reboot your machine and then re-install on-premises gateway. If you still fail to install the gateway, please share us installer log which locates at %localappdata%\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log.

At last, after you successfully install on-premises gateway and wants to switch from on-premises gateway(personal mode) to on-premises gateway, you would need to add all the data sources of your dataset within configured gateway, otherwise the gateway option is greyed out.

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SCTDev
Helper I
Helper I

As a temporary backup, I was able to re-install and configure the old Personal gateway, but I need to complete the installation of the On-Premise gateway. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors