Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JamesGSmith
Frequent Visitor

Printing a report from Power BI Service

Hi All,

I am trying to print a report from the Power BI Service. This report consists of text boxes, images, shapes and visuals (tables, multirow cards, etc.). However, in the print preview the report is "squeezed" into the page to be printed.

ChromePrint.PNG

In report view on Power BI Service:

ReportView.PNG

Can anyone explain why this is hsappening? I have changed the page type used in both the Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, using custom size and letter sizing. I have changed the margins and used Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers. I have removed the logo and pushed and resized the report content but all of these has had little or no affect on the printed/print preview page.

Regards,

James

9 REPLIES 9
mcewan311
Regular Visitor

I have been printing my Power BI dashboards to PDF through Chrome for the last 4 months and now this gray bar has appeared at the top of my reports.  I cannot get rid of it.  I have tried all of the above suggestions mentioned in this thread and have uninstalled Power BI and reinstalled.  This gray bar does not appear on any other documents I print from Chrome.  

I need help ASAP.  Up for any suggestions!

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JamesGSmith,

When we print a report or dashboard in Power BI Service, things like scaling, margins, orientation, size are not controlled by Power BI. The issue is related to browser itself.

In your scenario, to workaround the issue, you can use the Google Chrome browser to print the report, check Custom for Margins, then you can adjust margins to make proper rendering.

a3.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the help. I have tried the possible work around that you have suggested. Unfortunately it seems that at the core of the problem is the large grey panel down the left hand side of the sheet. It seems to have been added at some point after one of the more recent Power BI updates as it was not an issue until recently.

PrintingCustomMargin1.PNG

Because of this grey panel everything is squeezed across to the right hand side. No matter what I have tried with the margins this grey panel remains and pushes the content across the page. If I remove the company logo from the top left corner the grey panel disappears but the blank space remains the same.

I suppose I am wondering is this panel also down to the browser?

Kind regards,

Hi @JamesGSmith,

In my original reply, you can see the highlighted Margin setting in the Chrome browser. The grey panel you mentioned is controlled by this setting. Various browsers print the report in different settings. As said before, we can't do much on Power BI side to control results when we print the report. Can you adjust the margin settings to make the report display fine?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

As I mentioned, I have used the custom margin setting and changed the margins in the Chrome browser a number of times in a number of different settings. This does not have any effect on the grey panel at the side of the page. Honestly, it's almost as if, when I try to print, it takes a portion of the page to be printed and part of the background on which the page is sitting in Power BI.

Kind regards,

I feel like MS is in denial about the misterious gray block on the print page. I've explained it in other threads and here we are. The cause of this problem which makes the whole reporting useless is simply a bug. The logic that crafts the content to be printed fails to exclude the left navigation pane when visible. It's an easy fix but hard to find.

So do the following to optimize your print outs:

1- Change the Page Type to Letter

2- Re-adjust all visuals and make sure nothing is over-floating or overboard.

3- Hide the left navigation bar if it's visible

4- In preview, remove any margins.

This should do the trick; however, there is still going to be a dark line across which we can only hope to disguise as stationary mishap.

Thanks,

Fahd

Hi Fahd,

Thanks for the advice. I was able to find a way around this by expanding the report view to full screen and printing directly from there.

Kind regards,

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@JamesGSmith, does that gray block exist when you print other document (not Power BI report or dashboard) directly from browser? 

Hi Vicky_Song,

No, the problem occurs only when trying to print from Power BI.

Kind regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors