Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TomSinAA
Helper III
Helper III

Presenting data from two child tables generate error

Hello,  I am connecting to an MS access database that has the following table structure

tbl_inspection>tbl_Observation>tbl_observation_SOP—One to Many from Observation to ObservationSOP

tbl_inspection>tbl_Observation>tbl_observation_issue_subtype—One to Many from Observation to SubType

Where tbl_inspection is the parent table to tbl_observation.  Table tbl_observation has two child tables: tbl_observation_SOP and tbl_observation_issue_subtype.

I have a table visual that displays data from tbl_inspection, tbl_observation, and tbl_observation_sop it gives me an error that PowerBI cannot determine the relationship between two of more fields.

The joins in the relationship diagram in PowerBI are correct and match the relationships in the MS Access database. See picture of relationships below

Here are the relationships between the tablesHere are the relationships between the tables

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@TomSinAA,

Please unselect relationship options in your PBIX file, then re-open the PBIX file and apply changes. Then create relationships manually in the PBIX file.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@TomSinAA,

Please change your releationship as below.
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@TomSinAA,

Please change your releationship as below.
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@TomSinAA,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? In your scenairo, please drag the bridge fields of tbl_Observation table which you use to create relationships with tbl_inspection and tbl_observation_sop to the visual, and check if you still get the error.

If the issue still persists, please share sample data of the three tables and we need to know the detailed fields you use to create relationships.

Regards,
Lydia

Lydia,

The issue still persists.  How do I share the sample data? 

@TomSinAA,

Please unselect relationship options in your PBIX file, then re-open the PBIX file and apply changes. Then create relationships manually in the PBIX file.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hello,

I created a simple MS Access database with 4 tables to use in Power BI.  Table 1 is the parent table. Table 2 is a child to Table 1.  Table 2 has two child tables. Table 3 and Table 4.  when I get data is generates the following error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name:modelingRelationship.

There are no null values that I can detect.  It also did not autodetect or create the relationships.

PBI fields from Access dbPBI fields from Access dbPBI errorPBI errorMS Access relationshipsMS Access relationships

@TomSinAA,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? Could you please share the Access database file and share the steps you make in Power BI Desktop so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia

Lydia,

I am using version: Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018)

I can share the MS Access database. and the Power BI file.  How do I do that?  I don't see a way to attach or add the file.

Thanks

Tom

@TomSinAA,

You can upload files to OneDrive and post shared link of the files via Private Message.

Regards,
Lydia

@TomSinAA,

You can upload files to OneDrive and post shared link of the files via Private Message.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors