Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anywhereanytime
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI.com and editing/NEW Queries/mashups with Power BI desktop and Excel BI?

Since Power BI.com "service" is being updated "weekly" and Power BI Desktop "monthly" and Excel 2016 BI "I just don't have a clue" = WHAT OPTIONS do we have IF we "pull data IN TO" www.powerbi.com and LATER want to "triage MORE QUERIES"?

This is such a "fast moving train" that we simply want to know "the intersection"!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I can't answer on the Excel part of your question but have found that with PowerBI you have to think of the two versions (Desktop and online) as the one product. The online site powerbi gets the updates quicker. Things like drill down we saw a few weeks before in the online verison before it came to BI Desktop.

When you update the BI Desktop program and can make changes just make sure to publish your workbook back up to the online service.

Because there is no way to bring down the changes from the online site to your BI Desktop program I am just using the online site as a visualisation / presentation service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I can't answer on the Excel part of your question but have found that with PowerBI you have to think of the two versions (Desktop and online) as the one product. The online site powerbi gets the updates quicker. Things like drill down we saw a few weeks before in the online verison before it came to BI Desktop.

When you update the BI Desktop program and can make changes just make sure to publish your workbook back up to the online service.

Because there is no way to bring down the changes from the online site to your BI Desktop program I am just using the online site as a visualisation / presentation service.

Can you clarify this a bit more? What does the frequency of, or differences in release timing, have to do with pulling in queries/data? 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors