Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dalisaydavid

PowerBI + SSRS 2016

Hello PowerBI forums!

The IT team for the company I work for is getting ready to move towards SQL Server 2016, SSRS 2016, and Power BI. After extensive research, I was excited to see that there is going to be SSRS 2016 + Power BI integration! My main concern with Power BI was that it would not be available on-premise and thus you may only use it via a Microsoft Cloud service. I am reading a blog article here (http://biinsight.com/ssrs-2016-power-bi/) about how to get started with SSRS 2016 and Power BI integration. But it still seems like I have to log into a Power BI account through the Power BI web service.The image of it is here: http://i1.wp.com/biinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/image-49.png. Our goal is to use Power BI functionalities with SSRS 2016 by being completely, 100% on-premise to preserve the privacy of our data. But it seems like Power BI will never be full on-premise. Even though SSRS 2016 is an on-premise solution for reporting and my data will still be uploaded to the Microsoft service after integrating my reports with Power BI?  Can anyone help me out?

Also, please let me know if I'm inaccurate as well!

Thank you,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dalisaydavid The simple answer is "You can keep this all on-premises"

The longer answer, and what the blog refers to, is that you can integrate your Power BI Service with SSRS and interchangeably use SSRS report elements in the PBI Service, as well as see Power BI Reports in SSRS.

The differentiator here is that you are only using the Power BI Desktop (free download) to visualize those reports in SSRS, there is no cloud service involvement. SSRS currently supports you uploading that PBI Desktop file to the SSRS server. So, your scenerio is supported, and all your data will stay on premises.

From my understanding, the display and use of those report files in SSRS will get better with time as well.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Hi

With release in mid Jan 2017 to allow Power BI reports publish to SQL Server SSRS, we have some technical questions below :

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-s...

1. Which SSRS version would allow features for this release i.e. allow .pbix files store and administer in SSRS ? 
  2. With this release there is a requirement for installation below, does it means SSRS installation also need to install SQL Server Analysis services ? What is the use of this component ? Understand Database engine is for report and data storage.
  • Your own VM or server (not one in production use)
  • Windows Server 2012 or later (or Windows 8 or later)
  • .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later
  • SQL Server Database Engine (2008 or later), to store the report server database
  • SQL Server Analysis Services (2012 SP1 CU4 or later), to store your data models

1. SSRS Enterprise version has a mobile report (.rsmobile) that could be support in mobile device, then what is the architecture for this feature ? More specifically, assume SSRS is hosted in company on-premises network, then how to authenticate through mobile to company network ?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt742500.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

1. Do user need to install any mobile apps or just use mobile browser in order to view .rsmobile report ?

hi , i got a project to re impliment or import rdl files from reporting server into power bi.

please could anyone tell me if its possible or is there any solution ?

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

With release in mid Jan 2017 to allow Power BI reports publish to SQL Server SSRS, we have some technical questions below :

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-s...

1. Which SSRS version would allow features for this release i.e. allow .pbix files store and administer in SSRS ? 
  2. With this release there is a requirement for installation below, does it means SSRS installation also need to install SQL Server Analysis services ? What is the use of this component ? Understand Database engine is for report and data storage.
  • Your own VM or server (not one in production use)
  • Windows Server 2012 or later (or Windows 8 or later)
  • .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later
  • SQL Server Database Engine (2008 or later), to store the report server database
  • SQL Server Analysis Services (2012 SP1 CU4 or later), to store your data models

1. SSRS Enterprise version has a mobile report (.rsmobile) that could be support in mobile device, then what is the architecture for this feature ? More specifically, assume SSRS is hosted in company on-premises network, then how to authenticate through mobile to company network ?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt742500.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

1. Do user need to install any mobile apps or just use mobile browser in order to view .rsmobile report ?

Thanks !

@dalisaydavid The simple answer is "You can keep this all on-premises"

The longer answer, and what the blog refers to, is that you can integrate your Power BI Service with SSRS and interchangeably use SSRS report elements in the PBI Service, as well as see Power BI Reports in SSRS.

The differentiator here is that you are only using the Power BI Desktop (free download) to visualize those reports in SSRS, there is no cloud service involvement. SSRS currently supports you uploading that PBI Desktop file to the SSRS server. So, your scenerio is supported, and all your data will stay on premises.

From my understanding, the display and use of those report files in SSRS will get better with time as well.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer So that is the trick to use PBI desktop and load into SSRS'16 to keep it all on-premises without using PBI service.

Thanks for the clarity.

But i thought PBI desktop development using direct query & the enterprise gateway with published PBI service dashboards still ensured the data remained on-premises...or is that wrong ?

@DavidMoss There are still users that cannot user Power BI (ex.government) in the cloud due to compliance levels of data storage in Azure. You are correct though, when using Direct Query to a database or Live Connection to a cube/model those methods keep the data on premises or in the database of origin.

@Seth_C_Bauer,

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

What I need is to use the Power BI reports inside of SSRS - which is one of the perspectives you posed.

And this seems to be a great option for us. I found a tutorial blog found here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2016/04/18/power-bi-ssrs-2016-in-an-on-premises-environme...

This is probably what you are referring to?

David

@dalisaydavid Bingo. 

Fantastic. Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors