Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Joe_100
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI Enterprise gateway You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources..

Hi all,

Currently we are using the Powerbi Enterprise gateway to connect to an on-premise database through an ODBC connection and use the scheduled refresh to update the report.

Normally this works ok. 

We are now creating a report using this on premise odbc connection but also getting information from a Sharepoint online list.

When using the two datasources seperatly but still in the same report i can still schedule an automatic refresh.

When i combine the data from the two sources, for example using a join. I notice the following error in PowerBi under scheduled refresh.

"You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new data gateway, or configure the data source for an existing data gateway."

Is this normal behaviour? Any way to solve this? Not supported by PowerBI?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Joe_100,

This is a known issue, please review this idea.

In your scenario, please use personal mode gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Joe_100,

When you combine on-premises data source and online data source in a single dataset, you can use on-premises gateway(personal mode) to refresh your dataset.

Or you can use on-premises gateway, add all the on-premises data sources within the gateway , select "Allow user’s cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster. These cloud data sources do not need to be configured under this gateway cluster" option as described in this blog. Please note that there is an issue about the "Allow..." option, which has been reported internally as discussed in this thread. However, based on my test, we can still use on-premises gateway to set schedule refresh for dataset even the "Allow..." option is unchecked.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your reply. But i am not sure if i fully understand.

Does it only work when the gateway is installed in personal mode?

@Joe_100,

Both personal mode gateway and on-premises gateway will work. When using on-premises gateway, you need to select "Allow..." option which is described in the above blog.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Unfortunetaly it is not working...

The gateway is functioning, and the checkbox is marked (indeed dissapears after you refresh the page)

The thing is, when i use the ODBC and Odata connection seperatly i am able to schedule the refresh. When i combine data from the two sources (joining two tables from the two sources for example) the error starts appearing.

2018_04_23_10_08_38_Power_BI.png2018_04_23_10_17_39_Power_BI.png

@Joe_100,

Please check my first reply, the issue you describe is known, and it is reported internally. Based on my test, when you select the "Allow..." option, don't refresh the page, go to Settings and find your dataset, then you are able to choose on-premises gateway.

If the above method doesn't work in your scenario, please install personal mode gateway as a workaround.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Unfortunetaly i can't get it to work.

In my report, if i remove the join between two tables (one table from Sharepoint online, one table from an ODBC connection/on prem DB)  the option to use an onpremise gateway returns.

Very strange behaviour, i suspect a bug?

@Joe_100,

This is a known issue, please review this idea.

In your scenario, please use personal mode gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Joe_100
Helper I
Helper I

Just to be clear.

We connect to the Sharepoint library through an OData connection, we also connect to an Excel file on Sharepoint through the "Web" connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors