Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsantos1

Power query extract value of a json record

Hi,

Hi have a nested json file imported to excel, power query, they successfully tranforme to a table the values, but in the third column for example, there is a [Record] value, I want to write in each row the content of the json instead of the [Record], I don't want to transforme again in tables, I want the value of the record. Anyone can help to accomplish that?

Column1.name                   Column2.typebody          Column2.registo

Testeteste2[Record]
signalGET[Record]

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rsantos1,

Click the expand button on the upper right corner of the column header, you are able to extract values from the Record column.
Capture.PNG

There is a similar thread for your reference.
http://www.dutchdatadude.com/loading-multiple-json-files-using-power-query/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I don't want to expand the json value in collumns, I want the raw json value like {"option", ...} and insert in each row, that's the clhallenge..

@rsantos1,

I am not very clear about your requirment. Could you please share sample data and expected result here?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Source json:
[{"name" : "teste", "request_type": "POST", "url": "www.example.com", "body": {"test1": { "log": { "lang": "", "log2": "", "device": "", "state": "Unknown" }, "form": "simple", "gui": "221307"}, "id222": "341735", "size": "302x170"}}]

powerquery.png

In the collumn body, I want all the content of the json text, not split into collumns, just all the value

Thank you

@rsantos1,

I notice your column contains nested Record. Please add a custom column using code below, and check if you can expand values from List column.

Record.FieldValues([Column1.body])

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hello,
Thank you for your reply, doesn't work:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to share some thinking around this, that might help someone in this situation find an answer.

In this situation Value is of type list.

Jdoc = Json.Document("file")
Value = Jdoc[#"table"]

or

fieldname = "table"
Jdoc = Json.Document("file")
Value = Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(Json, fieldname)){0}

@rsantos1,

The issue is caused by that you have nested Record in the column, I can't find any methods/functions that can be used to directly transform the nested Record value to Text.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors