Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RyanT

Power Bi IOT history with large data

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I would assume this is a standard issue.

I have some IOT Devices pushing telemetry. I would like to Use Power BI to show HISTORY.
The IOT devices are pushing data every few seconds. I don't mind where I store the data but it is currently being stored in Azure Blob Storage.

The problem I have is that with Power BI, I cant limit the blobs it returns based on a date range.
So it will pull thousands of blobs then only filter based on customer chosen date range. This will obviously timeout when the data gets too big after enough time.

The only way I can see working is to use Azure Sql where I can do direct query, however this would get expensive and I don't believe Sql is the correct storage for simple IOT telemetry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@RyanT,

How about creating streaming dataset and create chart in Power BI following the guide in the following article?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-hub/iot-hub-live-data-visualization-in-power-bi

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, thanks for the help.

From what I understand streaming datasets have a limit on history. 

See https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Data-Limit-and-visualizations-on-Azure-Stream-Analytics-Pus...

I will use a streaming dataset for live telemetry.

For long-term history, I was under the impression I would need to use another service. 

Am I mistaken?

Thanks again.

@RyanT,

Yes. If you have concern about the large data in Azure blob, I would recommend you use Azure SQL and create directquery report.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors