Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI runs query multiple times on backend?

I could not solve it, I only optimized my queries and brought only data really needed in that dashboard

Visitor

Has this been solved yet? It's June 2018 and it's still happening for me using Hive DB. 

Regular Visitor

I'm still experiencing the same issue with Hive queries using ODBC drivers, both in the online version and on the desktop version.

Frequent Visitor

We are also experiencing the issue and with increased usage of Power BI, it is starting to negatively affect performance of Hive for all users.

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

This is because of you connection is established directly to your dataset. Microsoft recomends to build tabular model, so that your data will be stored in olap engine and will throw results alone to your PBI Reports.

Regular Visitor

I'm not sure I fully understand. The way I'm pulling data (and I bet the others in the tread are) is to hook up via ODBC to hive and run an import on a table or a query that results in a "tablular" dataset. As far as Power BI should be concerned, it's the same output as hooking up to an oracle table using ODBC, or any other database. 

Is the tabular model something different then an output that looks like a table (column/rows)?

Frequent Visitor

This is simply unacceptable. This is the definition of death by a thousand cuts. We have over 60 dashboards spread across 3 servers and that's still not enough to off load the issue this is creating. If a dashboard is pulling in 5 tables thats 10 connections and executions to pull one dashboard.

In the examply below I ran a trace on the dashboard refresh and you can clearly see the query running twice with a connection reset inbetween. It's impossible to negate the negative effect of this many connections even to multiple servers.

sql profile trace of power bi refresh

The Problem occurs when Power BI issues a Hive Query something like 'SELECT * FROM DATE' but if imported as the table it uses only one connection. Hope this helps

Thanks

Occasional Visitor

Is this expected behavior for any ODBC connection? I am running into this issue with a Redbrick database also.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The repeated running of the same query is a pain that affects multiple sources.

I raised an idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/36713977-stop-executing-queries-m...

If you feel strongly, vote for it.