Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eilskov

Power BI Services connecting to SharePoint List from a Team SharePoint Site

Hi, I want to create a Power BI report that refreshes during the day and is available on powerbi.com. The data sources are sharepoint lists from a Teams site. 

I have no problems creating a report in Power BI desktop where the source are list(s) on a sharepoint site behind a team from Microsoft Teams. When I publish the report to Power BI services and want to schedule a refresh I get a message that my credentials are not ok. I do not have this issue when connecting directly to a sharepoint list that is not from Teams. I have tried both Sharepoint Online List and OData as connectors and the same result. I have also tried this for two completely different organisations with the same result.

Has anyone got this to work? Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@eilskov,

What is the error message do you  get in Power BI Service? What authentication method do you use in Power  BI Desktop?

Make sure that you use Organizational account in Power BI Desktop and you should use OAuth2 method in Power BI Service when connecting to SharePoint online list.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@eilskov,

What is the error message do you  get in Power BI Service? What authentication method do you use in Power  BI Desktop?

Make sure that you use Organizational account in Power BI Desktop and you should use OAuth2 method in Power BI Service when connecting to SharePoint online list.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia. I did not know that about OAuth2. I don't use it when connecting directly to a list which is not from Teams. Thanks again. 

eilskov

Hi, I want to create a Power BI report that refreshes during the day and is available on powerbi.com. The data sources are sharepoint lists from a Teams site. 

I have no problems creating a report in Power BI desktop where the source are list(s) on a sharepoint site behind a team from Microsoft Teams. When I publish the report to Power BI services and want to schedule a refresh I get a message that my credentials are not ok. I do not have this issue when connecting directly to a sharepoint list that is not from Teams. I have tried both Sharepoint Online List and OData as connectors and the same result. I have also tried this for two completely different organisations with the same result.

Has anyone got this to work? Thanks in advance. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors