Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

denishdens
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Licence Questions

We have one or two Power BI reports that we would like to publish to a group of decision makers within our organisation as well as sometime external clients on a monthly basis using our existing CMS which is hosted internally.

Just for your information, 

• We will be using on-prem Data and most likely will have two power Users who would produce the reports and publish to power Bi app.
  • Once the reports are published, we would then embed reports in our existing CMS website / custom built intranet (Which will be password protected [Simple authentication] and only allowed users can access) 

Issues: we do not want to use publish to internet option due to the confidentiality of the data nor use IFRAME as internal users can share the link among peers. Therefore, we've decided to use Power BI API and create a custom page to embed the report. 

We are happy to procure all the viewer users on Pro licence. Also, this is a montly report and most likely 20/30 users will access it perhaps one session per day. 

I am not sure what would be our licencing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@denishdens Based on your description, you would need the Power BI Premium Embedded license. That is the EM sku that starts at 625/mo. Details here (Under "Explore Pricing")

You would need Pro licenses for the Content Creators

Viewers don't need Pro licenses, unless you wanted them to use the Service. If you want the executives to see the reports via Power BI dashboards and reports in the Service then they would need Pro licenses. Otherwise they would be free if they were just viewing them via your custom application.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Amador96
Regular Visitor

Hola tengo una duda con el licenciamiento de BI ya adquiri mis licencias de BI, pero no se en que parte se agrega la clave del producto, pues en la web no me muestra ningun apartado para activar mi cuenta, solo muestra la opcion de comprar, pero yo a tengo mis licencias, alguien que pudiese ayudar?

Good morning, I have two questions.

1.  I have Power BI PRO license, can I install and use Power BI desktop on a Cloud server from my provider?
  2.  Can I install and use On Premise Gateway on a Cloud server from my provider with Windows 10 or Server?

Could you help me please.

@arnovismendoza You can install and use the desktop on a VM that is set up as an (Iaas - Infrastructure as a Service) machine. But that would be tied to your providers domain. The gateway would work, also within that domain only.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks you for his reply.

@denishdens Based on your description, you would need the Power BI Premium Embedded license. That is the EM sku that starts at 625/mo. Details here (Under "Explore Pricing")

You would need Pro licenses for the Content Creators

Viewers don't need Pro licenses, unless you wanted them to use the Service. If you want the executives to see the reports via Power BI dashboards and reports in the Service then they would need Pro licenses. Otherwise they would be free if they were just viewing them via your custom application.

Thank you guys. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors