Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sahrear
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Gateway - Personal - can't sign in to Power BI

Hi,

I'm new to Power BI and was trying to install Power BI Gateway - Personal for a course I'm doing right now. I have installed the Personal gateway, but when I launch it and click sign into Power BI, it gives me below error. It doesn't prompt me to provide my Power BI credentials.

So far, based on some community post I tried:

1. In <...>\2.0\Gateway\diawp.exe.config: <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" /> to "false"

From my own thinking which can be grossly wrong:

2. In <...>\2.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config:<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" /> to "false"

Can anyone please help? I'm doing this course in EdX on Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Data Science, and I have to finish by 31st December Otherwise, i'll have to do it again from the beginning. 

Personal GW error 1.png

8 REPLIES 8
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sahrear,

Please run the personal gateway as administrator. Also please go to your Temp folder (%temp%) and look for files that start with Power_BI_. Share the log files which around the time that error message throws out with us if possible. See: Tools for troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I tried it 'run as administrator' but still no success and have the same error. Please see the error log below.

Please note, it doesn't prompt me to provide my PowerBi service credentials - is there a way I can force that?

Cheers

Log Name: PowerBIPersonalGateway
Source: Power BI Gateway – Personal
Date: 21/12/2016 11:05:51 AM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SMS07786.in.smsmt.com
Description:
Error from PersonalGatewayConfigurator, exception: Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.RestApiException: Encountered an exception while communicating with Power BI Service. See InnerException for details. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.ConfiguratorWorkflowSteps.CallRestAPI(String address, String method, AuthenticationResult authenticatedUser, Object requestJsonPayLoad, String httpAccept)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.DmmServiceHandler.CallRootRestAPI[T](HttpMethod method, Object argument, String[] pathSegments)
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.DmmServiceHandler.DiscoverGateway(String gatewayName)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.<GetGatewayStateFromService>b__1()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.<GetGatewayStateFromService>d__3.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.NotifyTaskCompletion`1.<WatchTaskAsync>d__0.MoveNext().
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Power BI Gateway – Personal" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-12-21T00:05:51.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>17</EventRecordID>
<Channel>PowerBIPersonalGateway</Channel>
<Computer>SMS07786.in.smsmt.com</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Error from PersonalGatewayConfigurator, exception: Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.RestApiException: Encountered an exception while communicating with Power BI Service. See InnerException for details. ---&gt; System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.ConfiguratorWorkflowSteps.CallRestAPI(String address, String method, AuthenticationResult authenticatedUser, Object requestJsonPayLoad, String httpAccept)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.DmmServiceHandler.CallRootRestAPI[T](HttpMethod method, Object argument, String[] pathSegments)
at Microsoft.DataTransfer.PowerBIGatewayAgent.DmmServiceHandler.DiscoverGateway(String gatewayName)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.&lt;GetGatewayStateFromService&gt;b__1()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.MainViewModel.&lt;GetGatewayStateFromService&gt;d__3.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIPersonalGatewayConfigurator.NotifyTaskCompletion`1.&lt;WatchTaskAsync&gt;d__0.MoveNext().</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Sahrear, do you have this issue resolved? And do you still need any help about it? 

Hi @Vicky_Song, no it's not resolved yet. I'm waiting for a response from @v-qiuyu-msft. Cheers

Hi @Vicky_Song & @v-qiuyu-msft, Is there any update to this? Thanks.

Hi @Sahrear,

Sorry for the late response. Smiley Happy I'm trying to involve senior engineers to look into this issue. Your patience is greatly appreciated.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do you have a PowerBI Service Account?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Yes - I do. But it doesn't prompt me to provide my PowerBI Service account credentials.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors