Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GibsonPBI
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded Custom Color Themes in Reports do not promote

I am new to using Power BI Embedded. 

I have been working on developing dashboards that will be promoted to a portal.  In the desktop version, I successfully have applied a custom color scheme using a custom JSON File.  They look great locally.

When I publish the report to "My workspace" and then look at Report online, the colors look fine.

When I share the embedded code with the developers who are working on the portal, the colors "Stick" for some items, and then default back to the standard Power BI colors for others.

What am I doing wrong?  

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@GibsonPBI,

I am unable to reproduce this issue. Do you use Power BI Desktop August release? Could you please share the JSON file so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I made sure that I had the August release.  

I have attached screenshots of the 3 various steps in the process.

From PowerBI DesktopFrom PowerBI DesktopFrom PowerBI OnlineFrom PowerBI OnlineAfter getting the code from "Publish to the Web"After getting the code from "Publish to the Web"

I could not see how to attach the JSON file, so I pasted it below:

{
  "name": "CHPA Analytics",
  "dataColors": [
    "#0071B9",
    "#A4CF5F",
    "#DD8E07",
    "#71B1D1",
    "#AE94BA",
    "#67B9AD",
    "#FFF48B",
    "#63666A",
    "#5CBAE5"
  ],
  "background": "#FFFFFF",
  "foreground": "#8AA8D7",
  "tableAccent": "#3A75C4",
  "visualStyles": {
    "*": {
        "*": [
          {
            "fontSize": 10,
            "fontFamily": "Arial",
            "color": {
              "solid": {}
            }
          }
        ],
        "general": [
          {
            "responsive": true
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "filledMap": {
        "legend": [
          {
            "show": true,
            "position": "Left",
            "showTitle": true,
            "labelColor": {
              "solid": {
                "color": "#561912"
              }
            },
            "fontFamily": "Arial",
            "fontSize": 8
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}

@GibsonPBI,

Based on my test, the issue is caused by triple wildcard in the JSON file. It is recommended to update the theme file to be more specific with the visualStyles section, replacing one of the wildcards with a specific entity (visual type or formatting card name). Please check attached JSON file. Using it, custom theme will retain after we publish report to web.

"visualStyles": {
        "*": [

I got response from PG:

As the Theme feature is in preview, and the triple wildcard is technically working as expected, there is no “fix” coming. We also identified a popular third-party Power BI Theme Generator website (non-Microsoft) and asked the owners to change their tool to avoid creating triple wildcards.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I downloaded the JSON you provided, applied it to my desktop version, re-published to the web.  All was fine (as it was initially).  The problem behavior for me still remains the same in the final portal that I am using to "embed" the pages with the "publish to web" option.  If I change the visuals (new graph, etc) in my base file and do the various steps to "publish" them, those changed visuals do promote through to our customers portal (which is an "azurewebsites.net" solution).  The issue is that the viusals lose the custom colors that the JSON file probvides, and the embedded report pages revert back to the default colors of Power BI.  Is there something that the web guys I am working with need to do as well to make these custom colors follow all the way through to the embedded visuals?

@GibsonPBI,

Could you please share your PBIX file via Private Message? I will test it in my enviroment.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors