Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amtanner
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Data Load Error

I am using Power BI Desktop and connecting to various different active and stagnant Excel documents. ("Stagnant" meaning they do not have data connections behind them and are just simple Excel docs; "active" meaning they do have data connections attached.) When I click "Refresh", it takes a few minutes and shows all of the files that are populating. The active connections load just fine, but three of the stagnant docs experience errors:

Capture1.JPG

I click on "View erros" and it takes me to the Edit Queries page. Here is what I see on that page:

Capture2.JPG  Capture3.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@amtanner This is new feature introduced with power bi desktop latest update. It notifies you of any errors during import. You can choose to look at them and figure out what went wrong or simply ignore it. It doesn't mean error in the process of importing but error in the actual data and so it depends on how critical it is for you to have 100% clean data. 

I receive two errors on tables I try to import. They appear in the Navigator window before I even have a chance to download the tables. Some of the tables import just fine and don't have these errors.  They read:

Expression.Error: The column 'XXXXX.Value' of the table wasn't found.

Details:

XXXXX.Value

Where XXXXX is the name the table

OR

Expression.Error: The index is outside the bounds of the record.

Details:

Record=Record

Index=-1

Have you seen either of these before or know why they might be happening?  I am importing my tables from an access file to a powerbi file, but I'm not sure that these errors are specific to Access.

I was building an Access database and connecting to it with PowerBI, just to make sure it worked. I kept getting the same "Index is Outside the Bounds" error. It appears my error (and maybe yours) is related to allowing multiple values in a lookup field. As soon as I disabled that, my error went away. I can connect to the Access DB no problem. Maybe this will help when someone else Googles it in the future...

amtanner
Regular Visitor

I am using Power BI Desktop and have several different active and stagnant Excel docs feeding into the report. "Active" meaning that there are data connections behind these reports (feeding from an SQL database) and "stagnant" meaning that there is no data connection attached; they are just simple Excel docs with data that I keep updated manually. When I hit the "Refresh" button at the top, the active connections load just fine. But I experience errors with three of the stagnant reports:

Capture1.JPG

I then click "View Errors" and it takes me to the Edit Queries page. From there, I am not sure how to identify the errors, what is causign them, or how to rectify them. (See photos below.) Has anyone else faced this issue, and if so, what did you do to correct the errors?

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors