Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

barakb32
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Dashboard - Refresh fails for Excel and pbix

Hello,

I have some issues/Questions:

1. A customer is implementing Office 365 with Power BI. What licensing would they need to have in order for Power BI for Office 365 to work with Excel Files? Would they need licenses also for SharePoint (in order to have a aplce to upload the Excel)? BTW. I understand that Power BI for Office 365 works only with Excel and not with pbix. Is that true?

2. When using Power BI Dashboard (not connected to Office 365), I try to create a report based on on-premise Excel but whatever I do I can't refresh it. I installed the Gateway and I see that it works, but...

a. Ideally, the report will be built with Power BI designer. I then upload the pbix file as a dataset and see the data, However, when trying to set credentials to the pbix file in order to refresh I get only the "windows" option. When clicking OK I get a message that the login failed.

b. Alternatively, I upload the Excel as-is as a dataset. Again, I see the data, but when coming to refresh I see the message: Cannot refresh data for this dataset because it gets data from sources that currently don't support refresh.

When clickin "Learn More" I get to https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/474669-refresh-data that says that Excel file can be refreshed.

Please help.

Regards,

Barak

4 REPLIES 4
alaeddin14
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @barakb32 ,

1. For Power BI for Office 365, you need O365 E3 + Power BI add-on, or O365 ProPlus + Power BI for O365 standalone. But of course, going with Power BI for Office 365 is NOT recommended as the user of this service will be transferd to the new Power BI.

2. For refreshing the reports, the Excel or pbix file has to be connected to a datasource (on-prem) through Power Query, then you configure the Gateway on the computer where the datasource is located, then upload the report to Power BI site. Of course you need to add your machine's Windows login credentials so Power BI will be able to access the data source on your machine to get the updated data when it refreshes your report.

Hope that helped,

Alaeddin

Hi @alaeddin14,

Thanks for your reply.

So you say that any solution for Power BI for O365 won't stay as is but will be migrated to the new solution... That's important to know. Where do Microsoft communicate this information?

Regarding "adding the machine's Windows login" - how can I do that? I only get the "Windows" option without any place to type user and password?

Thanks,

Barak

Hi @barakb32 

As for the transition, oyu may chech this article: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/licensing.aspx

Regarding the credentials, i think i you're right, i'll reinstall the gateway again and will double check.

Alaeddin

I am facing the same issue. Could you solve it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors