Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

Personal Gateway X On Premises Gateway

Hi guys!

I have some questions about the difference between Personal and On Premises Gateways. I already read some topics but i didn't understood very well.

The questions:
1) I have a local database in my company, i should use On premises gateway for this or Personal Gateway?
2) What are the advantages and disadvantages of each option? Why should i use Personal Gateway if i have the On Premises Gateway?
3) When i config the Gateways in my Power BI Organization, this gateway must be On premises? Its better to get it centralized, all my reports will use the same Database...
4) On that field on red, i need to put the location of the database? Like the IP address...?
Screen Shot 09-21-16 at 07.55 AM.PNG
Thanks for all guys!

Waiting for one answer...! 😄

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @brunozanoelo,

Do you create User DSN or System DSN in ODBC administrator? Based on my test, I get the same error as yours when I create a user dsn that points to SQL Server, however, everything works well when I create a system dsn.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @brunozanoelo,

Adding to other post, from your last screenshot, I note that you want to add odbc data source under gateway. In this case, you can input the connection string following the steps below.

1. Check your dsn name(testodbc1 in my scenario) in ODBC administrator or in Power BI Desktop if you have connected to the odbc data source from Power BI desktop.
1.PNG

2. Add data source under gateway by entering connection string , account and password as shown in the following screenshot .
2.PNG

3. Schedule refresh for the dataset in Service.
3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@brunozanoelo 

1. You should use on-premises gateway for anything work related. Personal gateway is for personal use to be installed on your laptop.

2. Ideally if you have on-premises gateway you should not use personal gateway also. You should have your data flowing through one gateway only. If you have lots of data sources (test, prod etc) then you should have multiple on-premises gateway (test gateway, prod gateway) but they should be on-premises gateway not personal.

3. As said above it depends we have multiple instances of on-premises gateway running for test, uat and prod reports.

4. You need to put ip or alias name or whataever that identifies your data source but it should be same as used for your report ie you can't use ip for report and alias name for the gateway.

I got all the answers! thank you for helping me my friends!

Many Thanks!!!

😄

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft, some error ocurred... i already check all my settings and are fine, the correct ODBC name driver is POWERBI_FIREBIRD and the dsn should be dsn=POWERBI_FIREBIRD, right? I already unninstalled Personal Gateway of my computer and reseted, i have installed just the on premise Gateway. What should i do? 

Error Stats: 400.

Screen Shot 09-22-16 at 08.33 AM 001.PNGScreen Shot 09-22-16 at 08.33 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 09-22-16 at 09.00 AM.PNG

Hi @brunozanoelo,

Do you create User DSN or System DSN in ODBC administrator? Based on my test, I get the same error as yours when I create a user dsn that points to SQL Server, however, everything works well when I create a system dsn.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I have the same problem on my gateway. I can't configure a new data source. Of course I have active an ODBC connection under System TAB and the connection is up & running.

The strange thing is that I had configured over a first machine the same connection ... and gateway was functioning. Thinking about a conflict (the dns was the same) I have cancelled the first gateway but didn't resolve the problem.

Can the problem is refererred to a misconfiguration of the local machine?? Because this is the only significant difference between the two cases. And if right what can be the problem??

Thanks in advance to whom help me to solve

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue when configuring the Data Source Settings of the ODBC connection in the Gateway clusters. The ODBC connection from Power BI Desktop works fine. We use a system DNS driver and tried both Gateway on-Premise and personal mode. Does anyone know how to resolve this? 

error2.png

Got it!!

😄

Thank you again @v-yuezhe-msft! Have a nice day!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors