Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hjameelq
Helper I
Helper I

Passing filter to the embedded URL

I came accross many articles talking about this but I didn't find the right asnwer to this.

I want to pass a filter like cityname = "Aamman" to the URL as a query parameter, please let me know first if this is doable and if yes, what is the work around to make it work. And if it didn't work with embedded URL, how can I make it work on the cloud service itself, I am on the free plan. Please consider me naive so take me step by step to understand and implement!

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hjameelq,

Based on my research, we are not able to pass filter parameter in the URL which created by "Publish to web" feature. But we can pass filter in Power BI service report URL. For example, the report URL like below:

https://msit.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/fb23cd82-3485-4be7-b53f-df364491f26e/ReportSection

z1.PNG

You can pass filter in the URL like below:

https://msit.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/fb23cd82-3485-4be7-b53f-df364491f26e/ReportSection?filter=DimEmployee%252FGender%20eq%20'M'

z2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well in the service, we can use the report filter feature instead of using query string to pass parameters. I hope if this fesature will be enabled in the future so we can use the published to web report effectively. 

Hopefully soon!

Thanks, -Hanna

Hi  @hjameelq,

Yes, both in Power BI service and Power BI desktop, we can use Report / Page / Visual level filter. The method pass parameters in report URL will apply in Report level filter.

If you want to get the feature to pass parameter in embedded URL get from publish to web, you can submit a feature request in Power BI Ideas forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did submit this idea, hope they will implement it soon.

Hi @hjameelq,

Before the feature is available, you can use the workaround mentioned in my previous post. If you are satisfied with our response, would you please mark the helpful reply as an answer, so we can close this thread?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

I think closing this thread is a bit confusing for people who want to look for a solution to this issue. So let us leave it open so others can know that this feature is not yet enabled or added to power BI published link. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors