Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sats

On-premises data gateway sign in-Receiving "Non-HTTPS url redirect is not supported in webview"

I have installed an On-premises Power BI Enterprise data gateway on a Windows Server 2012 R2

This is the second On-premises Power BI Enterprise data gateway on the tenant.

When I click on the Sign in button and try to sign in using the Office 365 account with Power BI Pro license assigned, I receive the following Error:

Failed to sign in. Please verify your credentials and try again.

Non-HTTPS url redirect is not supported in webview

at

Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.AuthenticationContext.RunAsyncTask[T](Task`1 task)

at

Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.AuthenticationManager.AuthenticateWithSelectedUser(String authorityAddress, String resource, String clientId, String redirectAddress)

Has anyone encountered this issue and can you provide information on how to fix this issue?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning,

We had run into this same issue using Okta local server to authenticate a user to Office365 through SSO.  If you are passed to a HTTP web request during your O365 login process, you will run into this error.  

In order to resolve, we created a user which logged directly into O365 without being authenticated through AD.  

• Create a non-AD user directly on your O365 Tenant
  • Grant that user a Power BI license
  • Okta is not used for this user since you are logging directly in through O365 instead of authenticating through AD

For example: AD User was abc123@yourdomain.com

We created a separate user for O365 which didn't get redirected through Okta as pbiuser@<O365domain>.onmicrosoft.com

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

BPlantes

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning,

We had run into this same issue using Okta local server to authenticate a user to Office365 through SSO.  If you are passed to a HTTP web request during your O365 login process, you will run into this error.  

In order to resolve, we created a user which logged directly into O365 without being authenticated through AD.  

• Create a non-AD user directly on your O365 Tenant
  • Grant that user a Power BI license
  • Okta is not used for this user since you are logging directly in through O365 instead of authenticating through AD

For example: AD User was abc123@yourdomain.com

We created a separate user for O365 which didn't get redirected through Okta as pbiuser@<O365domain>.onmicrosoft.com

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

BPlantes

Creating a non-AD user with Power BI license in O365 resolved this issue.

Bplantes, Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions with the resolution actions!

Thanks,

Sats

Thank you very much for the suggestions Bplantes!

Upon further investigation, it appears that the Office 365 Portal is reporting the current Health of the Power BI service as degraded due to a code issue. I will retry the Registration of the On-premise data gateway upon restoration of the Power BI service to normal status.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sats,

Please follow steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please use the “Power BI Desktop” in the Windows Server 2012 R2 and publish the pbix to the powerbi.com. During the publish, the pbix will sign-in to the powerbi.com. I want to check whether there is a problem to sign-in to powerbi.com via “Power BI Desktop” in order to identify the issue. If there is the same problem via “PowerBI desktop”, it may be an issue in the authentication customizations of the environment.

3. Please check Configuration logs (%localappdata%\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\GatewayConfigurator*.log) and On-premises data gateway service logs (C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log. Share them with us if possible.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much for the suggestions Qiuyun!

I checked the logs and tried the suggested options and still continue to encounter the issue.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the Office 365 Portal is reporting the current Health of the Power BI service as degraded due to a code issue. I will retry the Registration of the On-premise data gateway upon restoration of the Power BI service to normal status.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors