Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joruokol
Regular Visitor

On-Premises Gateway connects to Azure VM SSAS only via private IP

So I have this problem, I'm trying to create a gateway connection to SSAS running on Azure VM. 

I can connect powerBI desktop and SQL Server Management Studio using DNS name and SSAS name, but I can't get the on-premises gateway to connect to the SSAS using the same info from powerBI.com instead I can get the connection working if I use the VMs private IP. Seems that the error is related to timeout or bad connection? The SSAS connection timeout is set to 3600sec so that's propably out of question here. Thx for the info

Here's the error info: 

Toiminnon tunnus:
15d7b8ca-2251-4b2a-85b3-11e7d803a675
Pyynnön tunnus:
e5c84e51-84a3-b80c-1ffb-28e25dd197b5
Klusterin URI:
https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Tilakoodi:
ErrorCode:
DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdomdConnectError
Time:
Tue Aug 08 2017 08:58:33 GMT+0300 (FLE Daylight Time)
Version:

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@joruokol,

Do you install gateway in the same VM that install SSAS instance? Based on this blog, when connecting to local SSAS instance using DSNAlias\InstanceName, it could cause loopback issue.

In this case, install gateway in a different VM, make sure the VM is in the same domain as the VM that installs SSAS instance. Then check if you add SSAS data source within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Yes I've installed the gateway on the same VM, I'll try your solution and will report if it solves the problem thx

Was this the issue?  Does the Gateway need to be on a separate VM?

Hi, was this the solution?  Do you have to have the Gateway on a separate VM than the SQL Server Database VM?

joruokol
Regular Visitor

Hello

I'm having a problem with the gateway connection in powerbi.com

I have created a report using a named SSAS tabular instance running on a Azure VM as a datasource via direct query in powerbi desktop. 

I'm trying to set up a gateway connection in powerbi.com, but I can't get the connection working using dnsname/instancename like I did with powerbi desktop.

The only way I can get the connection working in powerbi.com is to use the Azure VMs private IP and I can't get this connection working in powerbi desktop or microsoft sql management studio (connection works with dns address in MSMS). 

The SSAS timeout is set to 3600sec, the VM is connected to the company domain and I'm using AD-recognition for the service. 

Toiminnon tunnus:
15d7b8ca-2251-4b2a-85b3-11e7d803a675
Pyynnön tunnus:
e5c84e51-84a3-b80c-1ffb-28e25dd197b5
Klusterin URI:
https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Tilakoodi:
Virhekoodi:
DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdomdConnectError
Aika:
Tue Aug 08 2017 08:58:33 GMT+0300 (FLE Daylight Time)
Versio:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors