Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidutl
Frequent Visitor

On Premises Data Gateway Registration Connection Errors

When registering a gateway I complete the form asking for the new name and a recovery key. When I click the "Configure" button a few seconds pass and the following error is shown:

The service cannot reach the gateway. You may need to change the account the gateway runs under.
Request error: Id: 'e0c147db-4d32-45a2-8fdc-49f5863dcae8', Status code: 'BadRequest', Timestamp: '06/15/2018 10:27:35 +00:00', ErrorCode: 'DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError', Detail: ''
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsync>d__4.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverUnifiedGatewayStatusAsyncRetry>d__6.MoveNext()

On app.powerbi.com under Manage Gateways the gateway is listed with an error:

Activity ID:	b2ed54f0-1994-40d7-b948-29096c8a0dba
Request ID:	d287b4f9-cf7a-0171-a7df-fd30aa679f23
Cluster URI:	https://wabi-uk-south-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:	400
Error Code:	DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
Time:	Fri Jun 15 2018 11:28:50 GMT+0100 (BST)
Version:	13.0.5628.141
Underlying error message:	Unable to load DLL 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.XPress9.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:	-2146233052
Troubleshoot connection problems

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Gateway multiple times. I've resarted the server, I've changed the account the service runs under, I've configured the service to run under HTTPS instead of TCP.

Any help?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidutl,

Do you install gateway on Windows Server 2012 R2? If so, use the following workaround.

1) Download new gateway
2) Run upgrade
3) Install the VC++ redist https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
4) Restart the Gateway in Task Manager
5) Close/re-run the app and make sure it’s green now.

However, if the above workaround doesn't work, please check if one of the following workarounds is helpful in your scenario.

1. Replace "Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.XPress9.dll" with the same file of Gateway April released.
2. Using local Admin account as Gateway service account.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidutl,

What version of Gateway do you install the first time? Do you change the gateway service account to a domain account?

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

The version I first installed was 14.16.6724.2 (June 2018)

I tried running the service under a domain account, which did not help.

@davidutl,

Do you see additional error message in Event viewer?

Regards,
Lydia

No, just informational messages and nothing helpful.

davidutl
Frequent Visitor

Ok, when I roll back to an old version of the gateway (April 2018) that I have installed on a different server, the installation and registration complete successfully. So the issue has been introduced in a subsequent version of the gateway installer.

Hi Davidutl, now i have the same problem with you.
Can you please advise how to rollback to old version of the gateway like you? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same problem. Did the solution above work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors