Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ricetristan

On Prem Gateway Cluster - Change Primary

Greetings!

I'm using the On Premises gateway, and have a two-gateway cluster setup and working properly in fail-over mode.

Gateway Cluster

- Gateway A (primary)

- Gateway B (fail-over secondary)

I would like to change the primary gateway in the cluster to the other server ("Gateway B" in my example above).  Is there any way to do this?  I've tried via powershell using the new commandlets (Set-OnPremisesDataGateway, etc), but cannot find functionality to do so.

Thanks,

Tristan

4 REPLIES 4
ricetristan

I should add that I've already tried the following without success:

- Tried removing Gateway B from the cluster (via Remove-OnPremisesDataGateway), and then re-installing with the option of taking over the existing Gateway A.  While this DOES appear to change the primary gateway in the cluster, all existing reports and dashboards are immediately broken.

- Tried changing Gateway A (via Set-OnPremisesDataGateway) to MemberStatus None, and also tried just stopping the Windows service on Gateway A.  As with the previous attempt, this immediately breaks the existing dashboards and reports.

Thanks!

Tristan

@ricetristan,

You are able to change Primary gateway. The way to switch primary/secondary is to “Restore” the gateway on the desired machine.

You can reinstall the gateway on the second machine(B) and select “Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway” after you signed in in the Configurator, then select the first gateway instance to migrate. Then, you should follow the same steps to migrate the second gateway instance on the first machine(A). 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the reply here.  That's roughly what I tried previously (see message above), with the exception that I had done a 'take-over' of Gateway A by Gateway B after removing Gateway B from the cluster (via Remove-OnPremisesDataGateway).  When I had done that, all of my existing reports and dashboards were failing with 'cannot connect to data source'.

I guess can re-do this process again and try performing a 'take-over' from both gateways in the cluster, and report back with the status.

Thanks,

Tristan

@ricetristan wrote:

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the reply here.  That's roughly what I tried previously (see message above), with the exception that I had done a 'take-over' of Gateway A by Gateway B after removing Gateway B from the cluster (via Remove-OnPremisesDataGateway).  When I had done that, all of my existing reports and dashboards were failing with 'cannot connect to data source'.

@ricetristan,

As my previous reply, after performing the above step, you would also need to do a take-over of gateway B in the machine A.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors