Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ayupchap
Helper III
Helper III

ODBC Connection error - 07006

HI all

So I am super new at this kind of thing but very excited to get this to work and wonder if someone would be kind enough to help me.  This is the first time I have ever tried to do anythign like this so I am a super novice.

I successfully created a connection with ODBC to a data source I use here at my work (a primary school) which is so exciting as I want to pull it into PowerBI  The source I'm pulling from is called PowerSchool a student SIS.  I am trying to make this work with the ODBC connector in PowerBI which it does, I can see all the tables listed but unfortunately though when I click on any table I get this error: 
DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [07006] [Oracle][ODBC]Restricted data type attribute violation. 
Details: 
DataSourceKind=Odbc 
DataSourcePath=dsn=PowerSchool WORKS 
OdbcErrors=Table 

This weirdly works in MS Access

What can I do about this?  Any help so appreciated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ayupchap,

Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.51.4885.581)? And are you able to import the data into Power BI Desktop with SQL statement?

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other way of doing it:

@soldstatic

This can be done by using the TNS name in the Oracle Database Native Driver in Power BI.Oracle_sol_1.png

Use TNS Service Name in the place of Server Name. (TNS Sevice Name provided in creation of ODBC driver and DSN )

This helps in successfull connection to the Oracle Database.

oracle_solution_2.PNG

Hope it works well for you too...

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ayupchap,

Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.51.4885.581)? And are you able to import the data into Power BI Desktop with SQL statement?

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ahh ha ha thats it!  Thank you so so much.  I didn't realize you could do that! I have been able to do what I need.  Amazing!

I have the same issue. Using the sql string works as well, but this isn't very conducive to connecting to multiple tables. How do we get this corrected so that browsing the hierarchy works?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors