Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

keno

Not a legal OleAut Date

I'm getting this error when a schduled refresh runs (it doesn't error when manually refreshing). I've found the reason why this happens in this forum, e.g. ANSWERED QUESTION.

Data source error:Not a legal OleAut date.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Table: Manual Attendance Full.
Cluster URI:WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:452648da-2252-4845-88de-515b0dd58161
Request ID:8a1ec65c-a4a4-4c79-bb04-62807acc2ecc
Time:2019-02-12 07:24:10Z

The question is WHY and HOW is this an error. Dates before 1/1/1900 are more than valid, I don't understand why Power BI would kick them out. And why Power BI would kick them out on a schduled refresh, of all things.

I'm purposefully displaying dates that are not 100% correct as this dashboard is to help us validate incorrect scans of documents.

Does anyone have a work around? I don't want to lose the incorrect data as I need the entire dataset to be present.

Thank you,

Ken.

3 REPLIES 3
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

dates like this are allowed in M/Query Editor (page 35)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerquery-m/power-query-m-language-specification

but not in DAX
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/date-function-dax

there are also some examples there with dates before 1899, but it doesn't look very promising

if you have such a wide year range do you use months/days at all? maybe it will be easier to just treat date as a numeric dimension rather than date

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

The dates need to be readable by humans, so the date format of dd/mm/yyyy is the best one to use. 

This is for correcting errors. I don't really understand how they could build a system that only looks at dates after 1/1/1900.

I guess the real question is, why do they allow it for manual refreshes, but not scheduled refreshed?

@keno,

A worksaround I can think of is to change the data type of the date field to text or use manual refresh instead of schedule refresh.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors