Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Regular Visitor

No SharePoint Integration?

Unlike other Office 365 apps, PowerBi does not integrate very well with SharePoint.

There is no "checkin/out" control wihin PowerBI.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI is a read-only connection.  Checking In or Out is part of the publishing framework and is only concerned with connections that have Edit rights.

I think we're talking about different things.

The PBIX file I have represents (to me), the model and the data connections etc. When I have to alter the model, I pick up the PBIX file and edit it. Then I publish again to the PowerBI cloud.

So where do I keep the PBIX model? Well, like all good Microsoft clients, in SharePoint. Except that SharePoint and PowerBI don't interact very well.

If I open an excel object from SharePoint, I can check out and check in from Excel

If I open a PowerBI object (i.e. PBIX)from SharePoint, I have to manually check it out, and remember to check it in otherwise I just lose  updates and versions etc.

It just another Microsoft Desktop app. Beats me why it doesn;t have the same SharePoint integration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I can't help you with that one.  I'm unsure what technology Microsoft uses to facilite the direct check in and out with their 

proprietary formats.  I know SharePoint has the publishing framework which needs to be enabled for the Check In/Out to work.  You might need to check with a SharePoint expert about that.

It's not SharePoint that's the problem - the library is configured for version control and that works just fine .... if it's anything other than a PBIX file.

My point is that the PowerBI Desktop product is lacking in this area.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors