Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No SharePoint Integration?

Unlike other Office 365 apps, PowerBi does not integrate very well with SharePoint.

There is no "checkin/out" control wihin PowerBI.

Super User

Re: No SharePoint Integration?

Power BI is a read-only connection.  Checking In or Out is part of the publishing framework and is only concerned with connections that have Edit rights.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

I think we're talking about different things.

The PBIX file I have represents (to me), the model and the data connections etc. When I have to alter the model, I pick up the PBIX file and edit it. Then I publish again to the PowerBI cloud.

So where do I keep the PBIX model? Well, like all good Microsoft clients, in SharePoint. Except that SharePoint and PowerBI don't interact very well.

If I open an excel object from SharePoint, I can check out and check in from Excel

If I open a PowerBI object (i.e. PBIX)from SharePoint, I have to manually check it out, and remember to check it in otherwise I just lose  updates and versions etc.

It just another Microsoft Desktop app. Beats me why it doesn;t have the same SharePoint integration.

Super User

Yeah I can't help you with that one.  I'm unsure what technology Microsoft uses to facilite the direct check in and out with their 

proprietary formats.  I know SharePoint has the publishing framework which needs to be enabled for the Check In/Out to work.  You might need to check with a SharePoint expert about that.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

It's not SharePoint that's the problem - the library is configured for version control and that works just fine .... if it's anything other than a PBIX file.

My point is that the PowerBI Desktop product is lacking in this area.