Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nestedjoin with SQL server and Exchange kills both connections

Hi!

I have run into a very irriating issue that I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have two data sources, exchange online where I download some mail and one sql server table. Both works perfectly, I connect directly to Exchange through the cloud and the sql server through the Gateway. 

However when I try to merge the querys in Power Query I run into trouble. I do a check in the SQL-table if the current ID from the mail exist or not. Everything works perfectly in the local file. 

When I upload the file to the Power BI Service I cannot connect anymore to either the SQL server or Exchange. When I look under data source credentials it seems that Power BI Service think I need a gateway for the exchange connection aswell as I have nested the querys. And as you know there is no gateway for Exchange, and ofcourse I shouldnt be needing it either as Exchange is in the cloud already. I would probably describe this as a bug in the service. 

Now I'm stuck, does anyone have a workaround for this? I'm thinking of a workaround to download the exchange data to another sql-table and join them instead, but would like to avoid it if possible. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

It requires a on-premise gateway or on-premise(personal) gateway to merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources.

You need add the on-premise data sources as a data source under the on-premises gateway and give credential for web data source under the dataset setting in Power BI Service.

Do you download a on-premises gateway and configure as below?

install a gateway for Power BI

Manage a gateway and configure schedule refresh

merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

For reference after some more playing around with it. It seems I can't even append the two querys together when getting one from SQL server and the other from Exchange. Very disappointing.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors