Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

babakr
Regular Visitor

Need help to build a portal

Hi All,

I have developed an energy analysis portal using Tableau but for some reasons I am planning to move it to Power BI. I am not sure at this stage about selection of right components and database structure so I just mention here what I have in mind:

1. A customer registers over a public website and then under his/her account uploads their Excel energy data (with consistent format) into a web based database (I am not sure about type of the database yet)
  2. The database has live connection to my Power BI pro account and when customer finishes their upload, the visual dashboard (shared via embedded code on the same website) is refreshed and shows the latest visual based on the energy consumption time period the customer chooses from a dashboard menu.

Now I wonder what database platform and connection is the best for this application and the most important question: Is this system fast enough so that when customer uploads their data to the database (with file volumes less than 10 MB) through a live connection to Power BI and select their desired energy time period for analysis, it refreshes the visual quickly (in less than 5 seconds)? Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @babakr ,

Fo your scenario, it hard to say which database platform and connection is the best for your scenario which should consider a lot of factors.

However, you could choose the most appropriate database platform based on the supported data source in Power BI.

For your connection, it will based on the data source you selected.

There are three connections in Power BI, import, direct query and live connection

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regads,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @babakr ,

Fo your scenario, it hard to say which database platform and connection is the best for your scenario which should consider a lot of factors.

However, you could choose the most appropriate database platform based on the supported data source in Power BI.

For your connection, it will based on the data source you selected.

There are three connections in Power BI, import, direct query and live connection

Best Regads,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Cherry for the reply. I think DirectQuery or Live connection would be solutions here but I have to start and test them practically to find out which one gives the best results.

Hi @babakr ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors