Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sc_plastilin

MySQL - Unexpected packet format

In relation to PowerBI for desktop, I used the default and later an updated version of MySQL Connector net. I get the following connection error each time.

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.'
Details:
   DataSourceKind=MySql

Using the same connection settings I can successfully connect via an ODBC connector and also via MySql Workbench. Which leads me to believe that there must be an issue with PowerBI desktop.

The Sql server does not use SSL and I had to disable use of SSL in ODBC and MySql Workbench to get the connection to work. I have tried the same in PowerBI by un-checking "Encrypt Connection" under permissions for the data source. But doing so makes no difference to the error message.

Can anyone advise on how to debug this further? (An option is to use the ODBC connector instead, but that would mean re-writing a lot of queries which have already been setup for MySQL so I would prefer to avoid a work around.)

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sc_plastilin,

Have you tried the latest desktop version 2.44.4675.521? I'm able to connect to MySQL on my side use this desktop version. If it doesn't work on your side, the issue should be related to machine specific, I would suggest you create a support ticket at the end of this page https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We're already using the latest version, so that won't work. I will contact support. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors