Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Brettp761
Advocate II
Advocate II

Monitoring On-Premises Data Gateway

Hi,

I've been using the gateway and other performance monitor counters via PBI Desktop on a project recently. The paper available for download on my blog describes the approach and related considerations:

Monitor On Premises Gateway

Best,

Brett

11 REPLIES 11
KevinM
Frequent Visitor

We have started working on monitoring for our Gateway servers and have set up performance counters to review what the gateways are doing.  The on-Premises counters are almost all 0's even though I know my gateways are running hard.  

Are the perf monitors working or is there something more se have to set up to get this information?

Also another issues with monitoring I am having is identifying what dataset is updating on which server.  We are running a cluster of 4 Gateways and when datasets are running and I am trying to understand what dataset is using high resources I cannot because it is not identified in the logs that I can find.  Any idea how to tell what server is updating specific datasets in a cluster system?  

Thanks

rexifan
Frequent Visitor

Hi Brett,

Thanks so much for sharing!

I reproduced the similar work on my machine and it worked fine. However, after I updated the on-premise Data gateway by the end of Aug, metrics like "# of all queries executed" somehow declined to 0 till now (before updating, there were around 200 queries per month). And the gateway worked fine at the same time, so I am wondering maybe some configuration/setting up is off after updating.

Would you or anyone has an idea on what happened here?

Thank you in advance!

M

I am experiencing the same behavior since the November release. We're currently on the December release.

Since installing Nov. and then Dec as well there's been no performance counter data shown except for "# of items in the ADO.NET connection pool"

All other counters are 0 and do not change over time, even if a large refresh is running.

Any insight or steps to resolve?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you manage to get data on who the users of the gateway are?

Information about which automatic updates have been setup on the gateway would also be very usefull!

I can't comment on these two items (gateway users, gateway schedules configured). Gateway monitoring is part of my current project and I may write a new, updated paper or blog post in February of 2018. Much greater detail (22 pages) would be available in May as part of the current project.   

Hi Bret, Did you release the new paper with gateways users and schedule information? 

Hi royal,

No, I'm afraid not. I've just been busy with other projects and this was pushed off indefinitely. Sorry. 

Thanks! Looking forward to it! If I find a solution to the problem at hand, I'll update here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We look forward to that Brett!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Brettp761,

Good job! Thanks for your sharing. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors