Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ibuhary
Helper I
Helper I

Modifications in Power Query not updating in Power BI Service linked via Local Drive

Hello, I have a Data Set in Power BI Service originally uploaded via Local Drive Excel file. My Excel file is connected to few data sources (from other local drive files) via Power Query. In total I have 3 Data Connections which I have used to populate data into Power Pivot where I have created a number of Calculated Columns as well as Important Calculated Measures. But after uploading the Data set into Power BI Service I have made a minor amendment in one of the steps inside one query. This change is not reflected in my data set when I refresh it in Power BI Service. I have already created reports and Dashboards in Power BI that needs to be updated with this change in one of my queries, how do it ? I have also noticed that new Calculated Measures, or Calculated columns in my Power Pivot Data Model doesn't update into my Power BI Service via the refresh option. Appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ibuhary,

Please put your Excel workbook on OneDrive, as stated in this official article:

"When you refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook imported from a local drive, only the data queried from data sources is refreshed. If you change the structure of the data model in Excel or Power Pivot; for example, create a new measure or change the name of a column, those changes will not be copied to the dataset. If you make such changes, you’ll need to re-upload or re-publish the workbook. If you expect to make regular changes to the structure of your workbook and you want those to be reflected in the dataset in Power BI without having to re-upload, consider putting your workbook on OneDrive. Power BI automatically refreshes both the structure and worksheet data from workbooks stored and imported from OneDrive."

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ibuhary,

Please put your Excel workbook on OneDrive, as stated in this official article:

"When you refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook imported from a local drive, only the data queried from data sources is refreshed. If you change the structure of the data model in Excel or Power Pivot; for example, create a new measure or change the name of a column, those changes will not be copied to the dataset. If you make such changes, you’ll need to re-upload or re-publish the workbook. If you expect to make regular changes to the structure of your workbook and you want those to be reflected in the dataset in Power BI without having to re-upload, consider putting your workbook on OneDrive. Power BI automatically refreshes both the structure and worksheet data from workbooks stored and imported from OneDrive."

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft , i have linked my Power BI desktop to an Excel file in sharepoint. However, new tables or measures added to the power pivot data model are not refreshed in power bi (although new columns added to existing tables are indeed refreshed). Am i doing something wrong?

Re-Link your file from SharePoint, and replace your Dataset using the same name as you used before.

Refresh only adds data, but for structural changes you need to replace the Dataset.

Dont Worry it will not affect your reports and dashboards, as long as you didn't change any field names, already used in Power BI Service Reports.

If you encounter any Errors in any visual, edit report and click the visial and see in which field or measuire the error is coming from and replce it with the new one you have in your updated file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors