Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HermannRafn
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Teams ID in Power Bi

Hi All, we have a project which consists of number of Teams and one Power Bi report serving all teams. The PowerBi report is embedded into each Teams tab and need to filter to that specific Team. Since some users will be members of more than one team we cannot use the User Id/Role to filter by. I know I can filter the report on Teams Id if using web/url approach (url filter) but need to have this solved when the Power Bi model is embedded in Teams. Any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yuezhe-msft

ok, clear. Thanks for your reply.

For the record - I did find a workaround that works for me. By "embedding" the PBI-report into Teams as a Website and use url-filtering. That way I can prefilter on groups (one report for number of teams) plus when adding "chromeless=1" it opens up as it would when embedded as PBI -that did it for me.

Regards,

H

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
eadams62
Frequent Visitor

I feel like the best option here would be for Teams to allow navigation down to the bookmark level when setting up the tab in Teams.

Workspace->Report->Bookmark

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@HermannRafn,

Query string filtering in URL does not work with Publish to web or Power BI Embedded. In your scenario, the method I can think of is to create different reports for each team, and you can add a report level filter in each report for each team, then embed these reports in different team tab.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia and thanks for your reply. Your suggestion means I would need to maintain 20-30 identical models. I was hoping for a solution/work around where I could use the Teams/Workspace Id to filter by.

@HermannRafn,

If you need to embed the report intp Application, you would need to create different Power BI reports.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

So are you basically telling me it's not possible to pass filters into embedded reports? ..not even between two native Microsoft applications?

So far these are my findings:

:: If I embed the report as a website into Teams - I can use url-filtering to get the result I'm after (pre-filtered) - but this is not really embedding 🙂

:: If I try to do this via SharePoint (embed the report into SP-page and from there into Teams) - paste the url (including filtering) for the report into SP -> it ignores the url-filters and displays the report unfiltered?

Regards,

Hermann

@HermannRafn,

Query string filtering in URL does not work with Publish to web or Power BI Embedded. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

I know this .. but my question remains the same, when embedding PowerBi into teams or SP - is there no way to pass filters/pre-filter?

Regards,

Hermann

@HermannRafn,

The method is to use report level filter. It is not possible to add filter in the embed link.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

ok, clear. Thanks for your reply.

For the record - I did find a workaround that works for me. By "embedding" the PBI-report into Teams as a Website and use url-filtering. That way I can prefilter on groups (one report for number of teams) plus when adding "chromeless=1" it opens up as it would when embedded as PBI -that did it for me.

Regards,

H

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there!

I am experiencing the same issue as you were, and I was curious to know how you embedded and used url-filtering to get the report you wanted. Any help or links to resources would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

this is what did the trick for me - by adding these filters to the end of the report url:

"?filter=TableName/ColumnName eq 'ValueToFilterOn'&chromeless=1"

Hint - don't use space in TableName/ColumnName.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I apologize but my earlier question was a little broad. I was wondering how you went about embedding the website into Teams. Did you build a custom website in HTML, or were you able to use the URL of your report directly? 

Hi

ok, maybe embedding is no the correct word here.

No, it's not a custom website - but using the URL link for the report directly. So, when adding the Tab in Teams, instead of using the PowerBi Tab, I've used the Website Tab and past the URL + filter there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors