Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Manage Multiple data gateways separately

Hello,

In our organization there are multiple groups that are each looking to purchase their own on-prem Gateways (hosted on their own VMs) for PowerBI and PowerApps, etc.

In reading online it looks like within an organization multiple gateways are handled by the same administrator? Is it possible to have each gateway managed separately? IE different administrators and users per gateway (and different credentials)

The reason for this is the different groups don't want their gateway(s) being tied up with data refresh/powerapps requests from other groups

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSLATTER 

One administrator can have different gateways on different servers.

He can add data sources under this gateway and add others users under the gateway user list so to use the gateway to perform refresh.

However, it doesn't support different credentials for one gateway.

In addtion, it is import that the on-premise data sources should be in the same server as the gateway, thus refresh or data connection can be successful.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-juanli-msft ,

Thanks for replying. I have two followup questions:

1) According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem it sounds like it doesn't need to exist on the same server as the data so long as it's on the same domain. IE I have a VM with the data gateway that then connects to my 3 SQL Server instances. Is this not accurate?

2) Say I am the sole administrator and we have 3 data gateways. I want Users X, Y, and Z to only be able to use Gateway #1, Users A, B, and C to use Gateway #2, and Users X and A to be able to use Gateway #3. So users X and A could use two gateways, and Y, Z, B and C could use one of the other two. Is this kind of configuration possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors