Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last refresh failed 10 GB limit - my largest table is 6 GB, unexplained

Can someone explain why I receive the 10 GB refresh error limit when my largest table (loaded through a view) is 6.228 GB and the complete gigabytes of my project tables and views are 6.4 GB. I determined the size of my tables  and views by using Client Statistics in Management Studio using the column Bytes received from server. Other threads I have read state it has to do with a table sizes during the load before the data is compressed. I don't have any individual table sizes over 6.2 GB.

I have no other projects in Power BI online since I am just getting started and learning. 

My .pbix project size is 547,363 KB

The manage group storage on the server is 535 MB

We have 10 users with PowerBI Pro. It is not cost effective to add PowerBI Premium licenses for $60,000 a year. 

When PowerBI executes a refresh, does it consider the joins in the model as a "table" load. If so, this seems unfair in calculating the uncompressed data load.  The Fact tables joining to my dimension tables would be over 10 gigabytes if PowerBI considers this a "table" load.  

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm reposting because I haven't heard from anyone and I have posted my data results using Vertipaw and Dax Studio in a screen shot. I'm using "Import" for faster results and I'm not selecting "Select Related Tables"

PowerBI05.JPG

I'm not close to the 10 gig limit and I'm wondering why I receive the error.

Can someone explain why I receive the 10 GB refresh error limit when my largest table (loaded through a view) is 6.228 GB and the complete gigabytes of my project tables and views are 6.4 GB. I determined the size of my tables and views by using Client Statistics in Management Studio using the column Bytes received from server. Other threads I have read state it has to do with a table sizes during the load before the data is compressed. I don't have any individual table sizes over 6.2 GB.

I have no other projects in Power BI online since I am just getting started and learning.

My .pbix project size is 547,363 KB

The manage group storage on the server is 535 MB

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Which data source do you connect to?

Could you see "select relational tables" when you connect and select tables?

If you select "select relational tables", it will refresh with more data that it display in Power BI.

Besides, here are some references, you may try to see if it helps.

Step Beyond the 10GB Limitation of Power BI

How to Minimize Data Load Size for Tables in Power BI

data model size with vertipaq analyzer

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Vertipaq and Dax Studio are helpful tools. Looking through my results, why am I still getting the 10 gig limit. I do not use the "Select Relational Tables", I build my model connections manually. Here are my results:

PowerBI05.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I might have found a reason. I will update this thread with my results tomorrow. I had about 7 calculated columns of string data in PowerBI project not part of my source data view on my largest table and this could account for the difference in gigabytes. I will remove the columns and try again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors