Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep data intact regardless of data source?

Hello, 

I import all my data, and there is no DirectQuery or live connection. My data from Oracle database is continuously affected by changes in the data source. If the database is locked, or the password changed, I'll be prompted to take action before I can access the data within Edit Queries.

I can still use the data within the report but not make any changes or even see the dataset within Power Query Editor.

Is there a way to import data, and keep working with data regardless of whatever happens to the data source? I've disabled "include in report refresh" and "allow data preview to download in the background" so I can't think of any reason why Power BI would need to connect to the source. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Power BI query editor saves the connection to your data source, if you need to make any transformation or refresh data in Power BI query editor, you would need to change the password in Edit Queries.

The "Include in report refresh" option takes effect on the report in Report view of Power BI Desktop, when you disable this option, it means that as long as you click refresh button in Report view of Power BI Desktop, new changes will not be reflected in Report view. In other words, it is ppossible to keep working with data regardless of whatever happens to the data source in Report view, but not in power bi desktop query editor.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Power BI query editor saves the connection to your data source, if you need to make any transformation or refresh data in Power BI query editor, you would need to change the password in Edit Queries.

The "Include in report refresh" option takes effect on the report in Report view of Power BI Desktop, when you disable this option, it means that as long as you click refresh button in Report view of Power BI Desktop, new changes will not be reflected in Report view. In other words, it is ppossible to keep working with data regardless of whatever happens to the data source in Report view, but not in power bi desktop query editor.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors