Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bozza1981

Issues with connection and update from Onedrive for Business file (xls) to Power Bi

I received this error from Power Bi "Get Data" procedure:

Activity ID8b30aa47-f6d8-7b6e-3236-fb18d91c8680
Request IDa8ea15cc-0cc1-b2f5-4873-082399efbc6d
Correlation ID466eab5a-8756-83ac-8b7c-c71ac9cbc305
Status code400
TimeFri Jul 07 2017 15:55:31 GMT+0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)
Version13.0.1828.174

The issue is the fact that my file is not in a "TABLE" format.
Thr file is a database that is updated via an Appsheet mobile app.
If I try to change the format of the sheet into the correct one, I will be able to connect the file, but when some users add a record to the database, via the app, the refresh always failed. Also, checking and opening the file I received a message that the file is like corrupted.
Bottomline: the target is to obtain an "always" updated report in Power Bi, linked to an xls file/database of a mobile app developed in appsheet platform and stored in onedrive. The app is in the hand of different users that are able to use the mobile app to add some information in the database and some power users has to be able to analyze in real time (hourly update is enough) the results.
How I can connect without having problems Power Bi Online in that way?
With Power BI desktop,it's possbile and I was able to udpate, but I want to share this online..
Thansk in advance for your reply!!
Mb
1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Bozza1981,

Firstly, refreshing against a .xls file is not supported. As stated in this article, Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type. You would need to change Excel file from .xls to .xlsx.

Secondly, how do you connect to the database in Excel? When you connect to the database in Excel, please make sure that you load data into data model, and after you import data from Excel to Power BI Service, add the database source within gateway, then check if you can refresh the dataset successfully. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors