Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sidharthaa
Regular Visitor

Issue with DataSet refresh - Microsoft.ACE.POLED.12.0 / External Table is not in the expected Format

Hi,

I am getting the below error when I try to refresh the data set.

"Data source terrorizes Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.POLED.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine POLED provider may be required to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: HTTP://go.Microsoft.com/blink/?Linked.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface."

I did trying installing the 64 bit version of Access Database Engine , but it did not resolve the issue.

To give a bit of background , the data source is an Excel file stored in a library in sharepoint. The initial set up went fine , i.e. connecting to the excel data + report . But few days later while trying to set up the automatic refresh I noticed the issue.  

I did try this link , not much luck here. Any help would be much appreciated.

This is my PowerBI Desktop version : Version: 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July, 2017)

Thanks,

Sidharth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I managed to find a workaround to filter the file that i needed - 

Create a filtered rows step to filter based on the file that you need

image.png

I had to also update the Source to select the specific file instead of "Sample File"

image.png

Hope this helps someone!!

Cheers,
Sidharth

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sidharthaa,

Do you connect to .xls Excel file and refresh it in Power BI Service? If that is the case, refreshing against a .xls file is not supported. As stated in this article, Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type.

To solve the above issue, please change Excel file form type .xls to .xlsx, then you are able to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Update on the issue  - 

I am using "Sharepoint folder" as the data source to set up connection to an excel file. 

I noticed that I also get an error if i refresh the data using the powerbi dashboard - 

image.png

If I looked at the Query settings , there were errors in the transform query because it was listing few other files .png and .mht that could not be parsed.

image.png

image.png

Like I mentioned in the previous post , this was a site created via MS Team and the folders in the library "Documents" 

is used by Teams to store files. These additional files were the ones that caused my issue. 

When I refresh the data set , it gave the below error ( some how the errror was misleading )

Untitled picture.png

image.png

Once I removed the files from the Site, the DataSet refresh and the refresh from the PowerBI desktop was fine.

Seems like a bug ???

I am looking at ways to filter / select only the file when setting up of the data source. Can't seem to figure it out.

Cheers,
Sidharth

I managed to find a workaround to filter the file that i needed - 

Create a filtered rows step to filter based on the file that you need

image.png

I had to also update the Source to select the specific file instead of "Sample File"

image.png

Hope this helps someone!!

Cheers,
Sidharth

Hi,

I also have the same issue and it blocks when we invoke the custom function (the one that combine files).

I added as well filter, but nothing works, it keeps on failing as soon as I use the combine function.

Could you help ? Do you have any idea ?

Bests,

Olivier LN

Did you change the second part like i mentioned in the post - the source in your Query??

If you go to the step for Navigation, you should see it there. I am not sure what you choose as your data source, but in my case it was SharePoint folder.

I had to specify the name of the file in the source "---.xlsx" 

image.png

HI,

After going into each step, i discovered that i created a filter on xlsb. this is the one blocking PowerBI services.

So conclusion:

- Powerbi desktop works with all type of extension

- Powerbi Services does not works with xlsb (ok with xlsm).

thanks!

Thanks @olivierlenard , always good to know!!

@v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for the reply. I am using .xslx file itself.

However I noticed something else, though I have not got to the root of it yet. The excel is located in a SharePoint online TS which was created via Microsoft teams. If I move the excel to a normal (created via the O365 Admin) site collection, the refresh seems to work fine. I do have Full control over both the TS so have to figure out whats causing this behavior.

Cheers,
Sidharth

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors