Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Implementation 2.0 SAP Connector

Hi,

I have been testing the new Implementation 2.0 SAP Connector against our SAP BW system explained here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sap-bw-connector

It works beautifully when using Desktop with significantly lower memory usage and faster execution than the 1.0 version.

However, when I publish to the PBI Service and try to use our gateway to refresh the data, I get the following error:

Error.PNG

Do I have to install something on the VM running the gateway?

I tried to install the SAP Connector for Microsoft .NET 3.0.20.0 for Windows 64-bit (x64) as zip file (7.180 KB), January 16, 2018 on the VM, but it still doesn't work.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Just an update that with June deployment of the gateway, this is now working as expected with the reports being to be refreshed on PBI service

View solution in original post

Hi,

The error message you have posted seems slightly different to the original thread although root cause may be the same.

The symptom that the original issue was related is:

• BW 2.0 connector refreshes sucessfully on Desktop
  • Same PBIX BW 2.0 connector fails on Service

The fix was to update the gateway with June patch (released 29th June - version 14.16.6745.2)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-premises-data-gateway-june-update-is-now-available/

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
meenakp
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

I saw your question is resolved.

But please advise if your report is built on BW Application Server or BW Message Server connection please?

(Our BW Application server based reports works fine with gateway+scheduled refresh).

However not even able to add BW Message server as datasource yet. Gateway only has .Net Connector in our case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@meenakp

Should work with both Message Server and Application Server. But you have to install .NET connector (2.0) on both desktop and gateway. The report need to be build with that connector however you are not using it on the gateway when moving to automated refreshs. 

@Anonymous,

Yes. We have installed .NET connector (2.0) on both desktop and gateway. The report also built based on .NET connector.

The report is based out of BW Message Server and works fine in desktop.

However we are not even able to add BW Message server as datasource yet in the Gateway. Gives error as "Access to SAP Business Warehouse requires SAP client tools to be installed, including the latest version of SAP Netweaver RFC"

Gateway only has .Net Connector in our case.

Did you install RFC Connector(and SAP GUI) initially in the Gateway, and then you installed .NET connector in the gateway after it was rolled out?

In our case, we started afresh with .NET connector in Gateway and i reproduced the problem for MS Support.

However if i schedule the message server based report via personal gateway it refreshes fine. Personal Gateway(my PC) has both RFC and .NET connector and also SAP GUI.

On the other hand Application server based reports refreshes fine in gateway. (again .NET connector based reports).

Hi,

May not be the answer you are looking for but the solution was for application server.

Thank you Mholsen and S_loke.

Mholsen,

I raised a support ticket and got a reply that SSO is not supported in Service for Import queries.

So far we have been successful to get SSO working in desktop version only - For import queries. (Both BW App server and message server)

There is documentation to get SSO Kerberos working for Direct queries..You were able to try that and still not successful?

Or you are also wanting to use import queries+SSO....? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we are trying to follow the documentation for Kerberos SSO provided by MS, but no luck in making the connection work yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's working on our BW application server, but Kerberos SSO is still not working.

Regarding SSO I haven't yet come across anyone who has made it work.

Hopefully, MS will release a more comprehensive guide and troubleshooting soon!

AndreasScholl
Helper I
Helper I

Hey folks

Does anybody know when the 2.0 Connector will be supported for Report Server data refreshs as well? Right now it's working good at client side (Power BI Desktop for RS - August 18 release) while it doesn't work if I want to schedule data loads from BW at report server?

Thanks,

Andreas

Anonymous
Not applicable

We haven't tested that yet as the Enterprise gateway still doesn't have any SSO towards BW.

I have been told by an MS consultant that I will be available as part of the October update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know, this is a much awaited functionnality 🙂
tap
Frequent Visitor

Says this is resolved but I am still experiencing this issue. 2018-07-17_09-52-05.png

Hi,

The error message you have posted seems slightly different to the original thread although root cause may be the same.

The symptom that the original issue was related is:

• BW 2.0 connector refreshes sucessfully on Desktop
  • Same PBIX BW 2.0 connector fails on Service

The fix was to update the gateway with June patch (released 29th June - version 14.16.6745.2)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-premises-data-gateway-june-update-is-now-available/

Anonymous
Not applicable

After the update, it appears that the refresh is now also working on the service.

I can also add that the refresh is much faster to complete and less resource intensive on the SAP BW side.

Now we just need to figure out the security settings, but that's unrelated to this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing here, the new gateway can refresh BW 2.0 connector based reports. Just need to install the SAP driver on it.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Can you successfully refresh data in Power BI Desktop? The above error message mentions Group Perfect Purchase Orders  table, please check if there are any issues in this table in Power BI Desktop.

In addition, please make sure that you are able to connect to SAP BW from clients which are installed in the same machine with gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, connecting and updating the data in Desktop works perfectly.

The VM running the gateway has a user with access to BW, and when setting up the connection in the PBI Gateway Manager it checks as working.

So I'm guessing that the problem is with the gateway software not having the BasXml.Gzip execution file.

Does that have to be installed separately? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I guess you have to wait for June version of the gateway, which may include the new mashup engine able to use the installed 2.0 connector.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Year, it looks like it.

Strange though that MS will release a new connector that doesn't work with their gateway...

having the exact same symptoms

local client has desktop (june) and .NET installed with the PBIX refreshing as expected

Gateway on VM is patched with June desktop and .NET

However, once the PBIX is published and setup with the gateway, the error message is encountered.  Hopefully it is as simple as waiting for June gateway deployment.

Just an update that with June deployment of the gateway, this is now working as expected with the reports being to be refreshed on PBI service

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors