Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update the report autometically with Access database

Hi,

I've used Power BI as below process.

Data input to Access (which is located in Sharepoint) → Bring data from Access to PowerBI desktop and make a report → Publish this rerpot to the web PowerBI (My report) → Use Embedded code to post this report to Sharepoint as a post

In this process, I would like to refresh the data and report autometically when I update the data on Access (

It means that when I change the data in Access, then other 3 steps (PowerBI desktop - the report in web PowerBI - thre report in Sharepoint) should be updated autometically.

So I set up for on-premise gateway but I've found out that there is no option for Access as a database.

Please help me to find the way to update the report autometically in this process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

Firstly, Power BI Desktop can be downloaded from here. Go to "Get Data" in Power BI Desktop and you can see Access database connector.
1.PNG

Secondly, personal mode gateway can be used to set schedule refresh.

Thirdly, if you connect to online data sources such as SharePoint online list in Power BI, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset without gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Do you use Access database connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to your Access data source? If so, after you publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service, you would need to use personal mode gateway instead of on-premises gateway to refresh the dataset. There is no Access option in on-premises gateway.

If you don't want to use gateway in this scenairo, you can store  Access tables as SharePoint online list, then connect to the online list in Power BI Desktop and create report. There is a similar thread for your reference.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Lydia,

Thank you very much for the reply. Actually, the ultimate goal is to do scheduled refresh.

I have few more questions regarding this.

- Is scheduled refresh available to do without Gateway?

- Is scheduled refresh available to do with Personal Gateway as well?

(Since as I know, scheduled refresh is only available when we have Premium Gateway or PowerBI..?)

- May I know what is the Access Database Connector in Power BI Desktop and where could I find it to download?

I'm so beginner in PowerBI so maybe the questions look silly.. Many thanks in advance!

@Anonymous,

Firstly, Power BI Desktop can be downloaded from here. Go to "Get Data" in Power BI Desktop and you can see Access database connector.
1.PNG

Secondly, personal mode gateway can be used to set schedule refresh.

Thirdly, if you connect to online data sources such as SharePoint online list in Power BI, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset without gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors