cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkoetzing Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How to switch sources within sharepoint folder

I'm using an Excel file with various tables as input source to my queries. As long as this file is stored on my local drive, I can simply switch to another file using "data source settings" - "change source". But when the file is located within a sharepoint folder I don't have that option. Instead I would have to change the path in every single query using the advanced editor. Is there any way to use a kind of "global parameter" in PowerBI so that this change needs to be done in one place only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to switch sources within sharepoint folder

Just figured it out myself: Goto "Query Editor". On "Manage Parameters" select "New Parameter" and enter a name, a list of values and a current value. Then in "Advanced Editor" simply refer to that parameter, e.g.

File = Source{[Name=MyFileParameter,#"Folder Path"=MyPathParameter]}[Content]

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just figured it out myself: Goto "Query Editor". On "Manage Parameters" select "New Parameter" and enter a name, a list of values and a current value. Then in "Advanced Editor" simply refer to that parameter, e.g.

File = Source{[Name=MyFileParameter,#"Folder Path"=MyPathParameter]}[Content]

anacerco Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello!

I have same issue and I am not exactly sure how you define a list of values for a parameter, could you please explain?

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Actually I wasn't using a list of values for one parameter, but different parameters for site_url, folder_name and file_name. But in the Power Query Editor you can go to 'Manage Paremeters' and under 'Suggested Values' select 'List of values' and then type your list in.

See an example here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/