Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kweinert

How to pass query parameter to Data Query (R integration)?

Is it possible to pass parameters to R data queries? For instance, my query is

let
    Quelle = R.Execute("NormalNoise <- data.frame(x=rnorm(100, mean=0, sd=1)"),
    EnvVars1 = Quelle{[Name="NormalNoise"]}[Value]
in
   EnvVars1

Now, is it possible to pass parameters to the string in R.Execute? For instance, I want to define a parameter NoiseMean and NoiseSd in the Query Window and use their value.

EDIT: I tried to use the "&" operator as I know it from VBA:

let
    Quelle = R.Execute("NormalNoise <- data.frame(x=rnorm(100, mean="&NoiseMean&", sd=1)"),
in
   EnvVars1

however, I get the error message that "&" can not applied to text and numbers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kweinert

I found the solution on the net

let
    Quelle = R.Execute("NormalNoise <- data.frame(x=rnorm(100, mean="&Text.From(Parameter1)&", sd=1))"),
in
   EnvVars1

does the trick.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
kweinert

I found the solution on the net

let
    Quelle = R.Execute("NormalNoise <- data.frame(x=rnorm(100, mean="&Text.From(Parameter1)&", sd=1))"),
in
   EnvVars1

does the trick.

Thanks for sharing this. Was wondering if I could get your thoughts on my problem.

I've trying to pass a parameter as a variable in my RScript (e.g. my FacebookToken).

It doesn't seem to recognize my variable after using the & & structure you recommended. My parameter is called "FacebookToken"

----------------------------

library(Rfacebook)
data = getInsights(object_id="IDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDID" 
,token = &Text.From(FacebookToken)&
,metric = 'page_impressions'
,period = "day"
, parms = "&since=2014-01-01"
, version = 2.8
)

-----------

Error: 

unexpected '&' in:
"data = getInsights(object_id="47270427529"
,token = &"
Execution halted

You need to "wrap" your R-code into an R.Execute-command like shown above, then it should work.

Might be easier if you use the "RunRScript"-button in Transform -> Scripts.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks ImkeF.

This is what I have now and it's not working yet, but any idea what all the #(lf) are?

= R.Execute("library(Rfacebook)#(lf)data = getInsights(object_id=""IDIDIDIDIDIDIDID"" #(lf)

,token = "&Text.From(FacebookToken)&"#(lf)

,metric = 'page_impressions'#(lf)

,period = ""day""#(lf)

, parms = ""&since=2014-01-01""#(lf)

, version = 2.8#(lf))")

Yes, #(lf) is the sign for linefeeds. You can delete them.

Problem with your code now are the escape signs:"

If you have them in your original code (which I don't fully understand, as I'm an R-rookie), you might need to wrap them into "", so that you end up with 3 of them: """. Or sth similar - you might need to play around with it.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

I use a Dropbox hosted script to source() the script which includes the parameters 

username = "&Text.Form(username)&";
password = "&Text.Form(password)&";

when I run it like this - it's just not working 😞

But I'm using it inside a .r Script to load the data. Any Idea?

You cannot pass variables to an R-script but just a table as the "dataset".

So you have to create a table in M with those 2 variables and pass that to the R-script instead and then pick the figures from there using R.

This seems quite complicated Smiley Embarassed

Do you have an example for me to follow by any chance? Smiley LOL

I was wrong - it's possible. Just that the dataset that goes as the initial input into the R-script has to be a table. But on top of that one can pass parameters to it.

Maybe the problem with your script is simple spelling - it needs to be: Text.From instead of Text.Form  😉

IT WORKED!!!! Thank you!

*dance dance dance*

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors