Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HimaBindhu

How to create query function for adding latitude and longitude to my data

I my data i am provided with country and provinces.

I dont have latitude and longitude of provinces in my dataset. I wanted to integrate bing maps with my data for pointing out provinces in maps.

How can i add lat and long to my data view and create query for pointing location.

Fast replies will be much thankful.

Regards,

Hima Bindhu

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@HimaBindhu,

You would need to prepare latitude  and longitude data in your data source, then refresh  in Power BI Desktop to bring new columns.

In your scenario, why not directly create map visual using country and province fields? You can set data category for your fields to proper category(country or province).
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Lydia said, you will need to prepare your Lat/Long coodorindates in your data sources, even if that is a simple spreadsheet you can import and merge with your data.

To answer your question @v-yuezhe-msft  the State/Province selection is problematic as it often gets the completely wrong place in the world.  A good example is the data point "Orange" which is a city in New South Wales in Australia.  Power BI commonly gets it confused with Orange County in America.  Often Lat/Long is the only method of guarenteeing the expected outcome.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@HimaBindhu,

You would need to prepare latitude  and longitude data in your data source, then refresh  in Power BI Desktop to bring new columns.

In your scenario, why not directly create map visual using country and province fields? You can set data category for your fields to proper category(country or province).
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Lydia said, you will need to prepare your Lat/Long coodorindates in your data sources, even if that is a simple spreadsheet you can import and merge with your data.

To answer your question @v-yuezhe-msft  the State/Province selection is problematic as it often gets the completely wrong place in the world.  A good example is the data point "Orange" which is a city in New South Wales in Australia.  Power BI commonly gets it confused with Orange County in America.  Often Lat/Long is the only method of guarenteeing the expected outcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors