Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alecsonline
Helper I
Helper I

How to arrange for autorefresh from SQL with "import mode"

Hi all, I am really sure the solution is already written somewhere in this forum, but trust me I have spent a really long time looking for it with no success!

So please excuse me in case it is a repeated question but I need help about this situation:

- PowerBI desktop installed on the PC of my client (the same machine where is the SQL database)

- It gets data from SQL in "import mode" (data from different databes so the Import mode is the only one available)

- I need to have the data automatically refreshed (once a day it is ok) without any human intervention

- The data should be published online after the refresh

What do I need to accomplish this?

Thank you all,

Alessandro

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jmalone
Resolver III
Resolver III

The automated refresh is available in the Power BI service but not desktop. So you can first publish the report, then schedule your refresh from the service.

Since your data source is SQL on-prem, you will need to install the Power BI gateway on the PC where the database lives.

View solution in original post

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@alecsonline,

After you install and configure gateway properly, please add all the SQL data source within gateway following the guide in this article.

Please make sure that the connection strings(server name , database name) you use in gateway exactly match that you use in Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@alecsonline,

After you install and configure gateway properly, please add all the SQL data source within gateway following the guide in this article.

Please make sure that the connection strings(server name , database name) you use in gateway exactly match that you use in Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much.

I will not to able to test your suggestions in a short time... 

Do you think I should anyway mark your answers as "solution" or wait until I test it? 

Alessandro

@alecsonline

You can mark solution after you test the above methods.

Regards,
Lydia

jmalone
Resolver III
Resolver III

The automated refresh is available in the Power BI service but not desktop. So you can first publish the report, then schedule your refresh from the service.

Since your data source is SQL on-prem, you will need to install the Power BI gateway on the PC where the database lives.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors