Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rickylee
Helper III
Helper III

How do you setup gateways for dynamic365 in powerbi for refreshing purpose?

Hello,

How do you setup gateways for dynamic365 in powerbi for refreshing purpose? I have installed "On-premise data gateway" already. At the moment, the 'refresh' option is still greyed out. Checking the 'manage gateway', I try to add new data source but cannot see dynamics 365 as an option.

Powerbi question.PNG

Thanks,
Ricky

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@rickylee,

Do you take merge/append operation between D365 table and Excel table? If so, please install personal mode gateway and use it to refresh your dataset.

If you don't have merge/append queries, you can enable "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster" option as described in this article and use on-premises gateway to refresh the dataset.

Regard,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@rickylee,

You would need to add the Excel data source within gateway, otherwise, you are unable to use gateway to refresh your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rickylee
Helper III
Helper III

@v-yuezhe-msft
I did not add excel data source within the gateway because the data does not need to be updated. So my concern is why the data in dynamic 365 online cannot be updated. As for the status, I am unsure which area you are referring to but I guess it is the following diagram:

Powerbi question.PNG

Thanks,
Ricky

@rickylee,

You would need to add the Excel data source within gateway, otherwise, you are unable to use gateway to refresh your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

rickylee
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I have tried that method in the past but it seems the gateway connection has problem. it does not give out a good error message though. There is something wrong but not sure what went wrong.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,
Ricky

@rickylee,

Have you added Excel data source within the gateway? Could you please post a screenshot about the data source status in gateway?

Regards,
Lydia

rickylee
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I connect to DYN365 online and data from personal spreadsheet. However, the data from personal spreadsheet does not need to be refreshed. So I can the powerBI only connect to DYN365 online. 

My refresh tab in power bi website is greyed out. That is why I think I need to setup the gateway. If you connect to DYN365 online only, should I expect to use 'refresh' function instantly?

Thanks,
Ricky 

@rickylee,

Do you take merge/append operation between D365 table and Excel table? If so, please install personal mode gateway and use it to refresh your dataset.

If you don't have merge/append queries, you can enable "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster" option as described in this article and use on-premises gateway to refresh the dataset.

Regard,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rickylee,

Do you connect to Dynamics 365(online) or Dynamics 365(on-premises) in your Power BI report? Does your report only contain Dynamics 365 data source? If you connect to online dynamics 365 and want to set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service, no gateway is required.

If you connect to Dynamics 365(on-premises) , please use OData option when adding data source within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors