Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

How do I direct which One Drive Power BI can access?

In this scenario, the One Drive for Business is pointing to companyname.mysharepoint.onedrive.  Power BI is not connecting to that one drive, and I don't see a way to change it to point to that drive.  Any ideas on what I need to do to get Power BI to find the correct One Drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After investigating One Drive access, I found that your ability to change which OneDrive you can access has to do with your Office365 license, especially as it realates to OneDrives created with Group Workspaces.  With Group Workspaces the OneDrive is created as part of a group, and if you have an Exchange 365 License, you can access the Group OneDrive.  For more information see my blog on the topic  http://www.desertislesql.com/wordpress1/?p=799

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Your subcription of powerbi must be related with your Office 365 subscription, the easy way is to create a suscription from your office 365 account.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

This is what happened. Someone has an office365 subscription which uses the company email account and uses that same account to get access to Power BI.  The one drive account is defaut set to mysharepoint, which is not what Power BI is pointing to when you select.  Any idea how to resolve this?  Do you have to go to sharepoint to share files instead of using the one drive icon in excel or file explorer?

My thought was to create a group account within power bi and add files to the Business one drive which is created at that point. Does that drive exsist actually in sharepoint?  The drive is being set up now so I don't know if it works yet.

itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

I'm having this conversation with support via email right now.. will keep you informed...

You can connect to the file using the 'Get Data from Web' option, however it won't automatically refresh in the Power BI Service even thought the autorisation process in the Gateway Manager works...

Really looking forward to hearing what you find out on this issue. 

After investigating One Drive access, I found that your ability to change which OneDrive you can access has to do with your Office365 license, especially as it realates to OneDrives created with Group Workspaces.  With Group Workspaces the OneDrive is created as part of a group, and if you have an Exchange 365 License, you can access the Group OneDrive.  For more information see my blog on the topic  http://www.desertislesql.com/wordpress1/?p=799

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors