Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

Getting data from Dynamics 365 - access is forbidden

Im trying to get data into PowerBI from Dynamics 365 Online.

I am following the steps listed in this article(detailed below) https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/threadpunter/archive/2017/09/21/connect-power-bi-desktop-to-dyn...

1. Get the Web API URL from CRM

39023311292_9cf785bcc1_b

In get data, click on "Dynamics 365 (online) and click Connect

2. Enter the url and click ok

3. Click "Organizational Account" and then Sign in. I am signing in using an account that is admin in the CRM instance.

4. Click connect. 

5. it takes a few mins but comes back with a list of entities:

6. Select any entity. I get an "Access is forbidden" error, despite the fact that my account is an admin in CRM. I have tried with all authentication methods but none work.

Id appreciate any help or advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got onto MS Support and it was indeed a licensing issue.

Needed "Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan" license (used to be called plan 1).

As i could administer CRM Online, and view the entites in PowerBI, just not thier data, i didnt think licensing was the issue but lesson learned.

thanks for the help all!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@wilson_smyth,

I have no issues connecting to Dynamics 365 in Power BI Desktop. How about you connect to Dynamics content pack in Power BI Service? And what is the result when you connect to Dynamics 365 from other applications such as Excel?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded a content pack and edited the connection, clicked "apply and save". I get the exact same error: "access is forbidden".

with Excel, i get to the Navigator, exactly as with PowerBI, where it lists the tables/entities. When I select one of them it gives the same error "access is forbidden".

Account i am using is an admin in the CRM instance so i think it should be able to see everything.

@wilson_smyth

@KHorseman encounters similar issue in this thread, and the issue is related to licensing based on his description. I would recommend you verify if there are any issues with your license.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I got onto MS Support and it was indeed a licensing issue.

Needed "Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan" license (used to be called plan 1).

As i could administer CRM Online, and view the entites in PowerBI, just not thier data, i didnt think licensing was the issue but lesson learned.

thanks for the help all!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors