Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olik
Helper I
Helper I

Get csv file from OneDrive and auto-update

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a report in Power BI desktop, based on a csv file on OneDrive for Business. 

I used "Web" as a data source (following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links) and all worked fine, but when publishing the dataset doesn't get recognised as a OneDrive source so I don't get the auto-update and OneDrive-specific options. 

I also noticed that I get the "OneDrive - Business" option when creating a new dataset online, but I can't find that in Power BI Desktop.

So, how correctly create my report? Why can't I see the "OneDrive - Business" option in Power BI Desktop?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@olik,

You are able to link onedrive data source in Power BI Desktop. After you create report in Power BI Desktop and upload PBIX  file to Power BI Service, you are able to enable OneDrive refresh option for your dataset in Service.

However, in this case, only when you make changes(e.g create new measure, edit report)   in PBIX file, the changes will update in report within one hour in Power BI Service. When you change data in the csv data source, the change will not get updated in Power BI Service report based on the onedrive refresh schedule(One hour).  To bring the change of csv file to Power BI Service, you can use shedule refresh or refresh now in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@olik,

It seems that you want to use "OneDrive Refresh" for your dataset so that when data changes in the csv file, the dataset and report will get updated within one hour.

If that is the case, you would need to directly connect to the CSV file in Power BI Service using "OneDrive - Business" option , and create report in Power BI Service, this way, onedrive refresh option will appear.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks,

I don't want to create and design the entire report in a web browser though - why is there no way to make this work in the Desktop version?

@olik,

In this case, you can use schedule refresh instead of Onedrive refresh option.

Regards,
Lydia

I know, that's the workaround/hack I've been using - but that doesn't answer the question...

@olik,

This is by design. you can view more details in the following official articles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-excel-file-onedrive

Regards,
Lydia

It seems very wrong and hacky that a Microsoft OneDrive source has to be imported into Microsoft Power BI using the generic "web link" way. How can this be by design, and why can't you offer native OneDrive support in your application? Your articles talk about saving a Power BI file onto OneDrive, they don't answer that question.

I'm just exploring Power BI for the first time (because my company might move their entire infrastructure over from Tableau) and I was hoping that we might see some better synergies given all our data is stored on OneDrive - but Power BI seems to connect to it like any other file anywhere on the internet...?

@olik,

Please check the discussion in the following similar thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/OneDrive-Excel-to-OneDrive-pbix-to-Power...

Regards,
Lydia

That thread raises the same issue, but doesn't provide a solution or even an answer as to why I can't natively link a OneDrive source in Power BI desktop...

@olik,

You are able to link onedrive data source in Power BI Desktop. After you create report in Power BI Desktop and upload PBIX  file to Power BI Service, you are able to enable OneDrive refresh option for your dataset in Service.

However, in this case, only when you make changes(e.g create new measure, edit report)   in PBIX file, the changes will update in report within one hour in Power BI Service. When you change data in the csv data source, the change will not get updated in Power BI Service report based on the onedrive refresh schedule(One hour).  To bring the change of csv file to Power BI Service, you can use shedule refresh or refresh now in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi 
how do you link to a OneDrive folder that has multiple CSV files stored into powerbi desktop, Create the reports, Publish and then get it to do a scheduled refresh?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors