cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnosaj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Get Data from Web API secured by Azure AD - Could not authenticate with the credentials provided

Hi,

I have the following case, and I hope I could get help:

1. I created a .NET core API without authentication.  Published it to an Azure App service.
  2. That Azure App service is then secured via Active Directory app registration, I followed the (Alternative method) section from this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/configure-authentication-provider-aad
  3. Now I am trying to create a Power BI report.   Get Data > Other > Web:
  4. get_data_from_web.png
  5. access_web_content_organizational_account.png
  6. When I hit Connect, I get the following error:
  7. authentication_error.png
  8. It is strange that the authentication fails as I use the same credentials when I signed in and got me connected in the first place.  Now when trying to connect to the api to get the data, this happens.  Am I missing something, or not doing it right? I am using the very same credentials in Azure AD.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Get Data from Web API secured by Azure AD - Could not authenticate with the credentials provided

@nnosaj,

I don't think it is possible to directly connect to the web api using AAD authentication, please check if ss78's method works in your scenario.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Get Data from Web API secured by Azure AD - Could not authenticate with the credentials provided

@nnosaj,

I don't think it is possible to directly connect to the web api using AAD authentication, please check if ss78's method works in your scenario.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nnosaj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for the suggested method.  I think that would work in my scenario when converted to C#.  However, at present it will be an unnecessary overhead as we had opted for a simpler form of authentication, which is just a simple custom API key authentication, and it worked seamlessly on my Power BI report.  It will be really nice to have Azure AD as authentication if only there could be a more direct and easier approach to it in Power BI.  

Kind Regards,